Author Topic: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!  (Read 70510 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2011, 02:41:26 am »
Look forward to seeing you progress Pat, get well soon
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Grunt

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »
Anybody know the due date on all these bow trades?

Offline NTD

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
July 4th Grunt ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:43 pm »
OK, in need of some advice or direction...

I am currently working on what is intended to be my Trade Bow from Hophornbeam.  As I was working the back & belly I came across a few borer holes so I am definitely going to back this bow for some added insurance.  He's my question/dilemma...I had originally planned on backing it with Cherry Bark but am concerned the bark backing on it's own will not provide enough strength.  How much strength does a bark backing add, if any, and would I be OK putting down a thin goat rawhide down as the real backing and add the Cherry bark on top?

Many thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline sailordad

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20:38 pm »
never used cherry or rawhide myself
but if i am right,cherry is for looks only
so put dwn the rawhide then add the cherry
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:50 pm »
Choke cherry bark is very strong. It will add a few pounds if you glue it up in reflex. You will need to fil the voids the grubs made if they are not too deep. For that I have successfully used super glue and saw dust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:44 pm »
Thanks guys...Pat, would the cherry bark have to be in 1 continuous piece for each limb?  I have 1 piece that is 40" long and another the same length but it separated along a scar in the bark.  As for the borers, I'm not sure what kind they were...the holes/tracks are very, very small, about the diameter of pencil tip.  I could try a super glue/saw dust mix but would there be a risk that the mix is harder than the wood which would result in sanding humps during the finishing process?

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »
If you get sanding humps, just wrap a bit of sandpaper around a popsicle stick and sand away.  Or do like me and buy emory boards like the ladies use on their nails. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:00 am »
I took my trade bow with me to OJAM over the weekend and got some advice, and made a string for it. I will ship it after the classuc. I've got a special accent piece that I'm working on for it. I'd show yall but it would be a dead giveaway to the new owner.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2011, 11:37:46 am »
just checking in on the bow trade.  If you need me to find out anything about your giftee send me a p.m.  Those of you who want to bring your bow (if finished ) to the classic and hand deliver it, i can find out if that person is attending.
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »
 Marie, Thanks for the info on my victim,,,,,,,I mean recipient >:D

Offline John K

« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »
Thanks Marie, i think  have my guy figured out  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:54 am »
Some serious back issues have put my building on hold, but i got some finish work on my trade bow done ;D
here are some pices of the work. i had to hide the accent so not to give away the name. check out the color differences of osage, the trade bows is farthest back and far left in the pics

I cant wait to see the results before i ship.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:53:44 am by Dvshunter »
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2011, 02:53:39 am »
looking good. I should have my trade bow done in a couple of weeks. cant wait to see what everybody esle builds.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2011, 02:55:33 am »
Very nice bows Dvs. You've been busy!
  I can sympathise with a bad back. I was down for 3 months last winter with back and sciatic nerve problems. My worst eppisode in 20 years!  :'(
  I did a littlemore on my trade bow yesterday. Still not shaped yet, though. Need more rainy days!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC