Author Topic: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!  (Read 70526 times)

Offline Matt S.

Re: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »
Some Viking warrior will be very pleased ;D

Offline wildman

« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »
Nice looking bow Rich, looks like that bear hair was expertly tanned ;D >:D  If it is half the bow like the ones you made me someone will be very pleased.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:30 pm »
Just curious if I'm wasting my time with this stave or not...I think I know the answer but some confirmation would be great.  I've got this stave down to floor tiller and last night I was doing some heat treatment to straighten a bit of prop twist on both limbs.  After the oil soaked in a bit and the stave had cooled I pulled it off the caul and noticed these...

Seems there are what appears to be worm holes or some type of wood borer tracks on the belly.  Once the oil for heating was applied these soaked up the oil/saw dust and were pretty hard to not notice.  I imagine these will compromise the strength and integrity of the limbs enough to warrant a halt on the project and a search for a new stave?

Thanks~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:56 pm »
I tend to look at a bow that has something like this as an opportunity to "smoke test".  I just keep tillering away and let 'er blow if she's gonna.  After all, we have all agreed we learn more from a blown bow than one that just comes together easy. 

Short answer: Tiller it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline John K

« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »
I agree with JW i'd keep going those might tiller out !

What kind of wood is that Ash ?
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep at it and see where fate brings me.  The stave is Ironwood. 
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline John K

« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2011, 11:22:06 pm »
Good luck, Ironwood is good stuff !

Offline sailordad

« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2011, 11:56:26 pm »
when you say iron wood
are you refering to hop horn beam?
if so just use it  ;D
i see stuff like that in it all the time and dont even have to use heat to find it
like they said, tiller that sucker out and if nothing else you will learn something
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2011, 12:05:30 am »
Good to know!  Onward and upward...

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »
I started my trade bow today.  It's starting as a heavily propellered, recurved 62" osage stave.  Planning on a 60" recurve.  It'll need some untwisting, and matching reflex and recurves added to the limbs.  Have the back done, but will start another thread for the build when I get a little more done.  But, for now, this is the starting point:

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DEllis

« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »
Whooee George, I'll be watching this one for sure. Can't wait to see what you get out of that. You are a braver(more experienced) man that I. ;D
I got my stave for the trade today.......hickory from Mike at Pine Hollow. No pics yet......to be continued ;)
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:38 pm »
I started my trade bow today.  It's starting as a heavily propellered, recurved 62" osage stave.  Planning on a 60" recurve.  It'll need some untwisting, and matching reflex and recurves added to the limbs.  Have the back done, but will start another thread for the build when I get a little more done.  But, for now, this is the starting point:

George

:o ;D Ill be watching
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline John K

« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »
I see a bow in there George !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2011, 01:22:05 am »
That's a nice challenging stave there, George. I built a bow with a similar one last year fro the TradGang bow trade. Looking forward to seeing your techniques.
  I have chosen the stave bow my trade bow. It is locust that Alan(Woodland Roamer) gave me a few years ago for my birthday. I'm gonna make an Eastern Woodland style bow , bending throughout the bow with single side nocks.I will probably heat treat the belly and may finish it with hand rubbed bear grease. I'll be using the K.I.S.S rule on this one!  8)
 I removed most of the extra wood from the stave but have had a lung and sinus infection for a few weeks now and won't attempt any wood work until it clears up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2011, 01:44:31 am »
Thanks guys.  I like your choice Pat, can't wait to see it.  There are going to be a lot of very cool bows by the time this is done.  It gets more interesting by the day.

Sorry to hear of the infection, seems to be the season for colds and sinus infections.

George
St Paul, TX