Author Topic: Wood ID help - a strange one  (Read 4422 times)

Offline profsaffel

Wood ID help - a strange one
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »
So I was surveying the yard today in preparation for the coming spring, you know, what to prune or whatever, when I discovered a tall sapling had grown up in the middle of a crepe myrtle. Well, whatever type of wood it was it needed to go. I assumed at first glance that it was some type of oak. I hatcheted at the base and then, as most of us bowyers do, tried to decide if it was firewood or could be worthy of making into a bow. I cut the ends, measured the straightest part at about 60 inches, and began stripping the bark with my trusty draw knife. Then, a few seconds later, I noticed some sort of milky substance forming around the now exposed surface. "What is this?" I wondered and began seriously questioning what kind of wood it is. Here's what info I can give you.

First, I live in Northeast Texas, so that should narrow the list down somewhat. The tree was clearly a sapling, but it was at least 12 feet tall and fairly straight up, so that rules out most bushes. My first assumption was an oak or maybe privet if that helps. It seems to be a white hardwood. Most of the trees in the yard are oaks, sweet gum, or pine. Occasionally I'll find a holly, but that's about it. The 'milk' that seeped out was a little sticky - reminded me of Elmer's school glue. I even went as far as to smell the stripped tree and it had a sweet odor, much like a cantaloupe or watermelon. No visible leaves or other 'accessories' appear around it, but that's not saying much this time of year after all the rain, wind, and other large leaves all around it.

I'm still thinking it's an oak, probably white oak or pen oak, but I'm just not sure. I've never seen one bleed sweet milk before.  :P

Here are the pics:

Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood ID help - a strange one
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:46 pm »
An oak wouldn't have a milky sap. That will be a main key to IDing the tree though. Right off, I don't know. Did you get any pics of the limb tips and buds?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »
No buds, but I'll see if I can photo a tip tomorrow. Yeah, the milky thing certainly is not an oak trait, so what the heck is this thing?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »
That bark kinda looks like a cross between a gum and an ash. I don't have a clue if either one of them bleed milky sap. No gum trees where I'm at - that's my wild stab in the dark, Ha ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:42:29 pm »
Hi,  Milky sap and a small yellow heart.  Looks like a mulberry to me.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:31 am »
I'm with Pat B on this one, not enough information to make a strong guess. My first impulse was Sumac, but I did do a web search and found many trees that have the milky sap characteristics. Is the wood fairly light weight.

Search the area and see if you can find another and mark it with a ribbon. As it matures you can use the leaves and perhaps blooms to identify it. Just set the debarked piece aside to dry until you can identify it.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:28:50 am »
Yeah, but Mulberry is certainly a strong contender. I did some reading on it and it certainly matches. I bet those twigs have alternating buds on them and I just didn't pay close enough attention. Mulberry is also common around here. Not sure I'll find another in my yard though. I might ask the neighbors if they have a Mulberry on their property. Obviously, if it is indeed mulberry, it certainly qualifies as bow material. Actually, I'm making a bow from it no matter what I eventually identify it to be. I figure, why not?  :D

I'm still open to more considerations...

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:33:24 am »
Tulip poplar? yellowpoplar
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:50:41 am »
I hadn't even thought about mulberry. White sap and the sapling growing out of another bush where the bird dropped the seed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:07:16 am »
I'm by f.ar no expert on tree identification, but me first guess was mulberry.  I have a couple mullberry trees on my farm and the bark looks real similar. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 03:20:00 am »
Mulberry is a common street tree in my neighborhood.  I very recently collected some branches trimmed by a neighbor.  The bark, sap and cut ends all look like what I just worked with.   The few mulberry bows I've seen were worked down to the heartwood and treated like a slightly less dense osage.  This obviously won't work with your tree ( or with the limbs I collected.)   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:54:29 am »
Hello,

I am not american and I don't have a vast knowledge of american trees, but I think I've seen that tree before. By your description I think that tree is a tree called tree of heaven (ailantus altissima) a good for nothing invasive tree from china that has spreaded worlwide. The description matches perfectly the trees of that specie that I've cut in my country. (I wish it is not for it is a real biological ploblem)

http://www.google.es/images?um=1&hl=es&biw=711&bih=447&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=tree+of+heaven+bark&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Sergio.

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 07:05:07 am »
Mulberry has sap just like that, it also grows straight and true as you described although the bark looks a bit gray/dark compared to the whit/red mulb you get here in SA

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 09:35:55 am »
  Thats sap (water) coming out. You say it's sweet I've tasted sweet gum and it has a really white sap thats sweet to the taste.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:43:21 am »
Sure looks like sweatgum to me. we have alot of them and they can grow very fast in the first year or so. The bark lo :-\ks like Sweetgum
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2