Author Topic: WooooHooo,Spring?  (Read 6962 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: WooooHooo,Spring?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »
Wow Unbelievable, We had a couple real nice weeks when the south was in the deep freeze,,,Now we are back in it,  It is snow and blowing here today and a couple nights ago it hit eight below. :o  Had to blanket the horses again and break out the snow blower again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:22 am »
Keenan, It's hot and dry here, just like where ElD is. We had a 100acres burn up in town Friday and on Sunday another 800 acres went up. We have little fires popping up everywhere.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 04:05:46 pm »
El D not sure what the terrain and flora are like there but wife is from eastern NM, can't imagine a prairie fire there killing that much. I guess with winds that high, but with the fuel only being 10" tall, seems like it'd be relatively harmless other than smoke? I know when I worked for the wildlife resource commission we'd hop through the head fire after we got it going to get back into the black and it wasn't so bad.

Eddie you know as good as I do, if people would use fire every few years as a management tool, they wouldn't suffer when a dry or relatively dry storm came through and lightening struck. It should be mandatory to burn more than 20 contiguous, undeveloped acres every 3 years, especially in florida.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 04:08:56 pm »
It is spring time here as well.
Lost of things starting to leaf out and bloom.  
They stand a good chance of being nipped off by jack frost.

Eddie: Is that a Lowquat (sp) bush with the fruit on it???
          My Mom and Dad have one in there yard.
          The growing season is way to short for it make fruit.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 05:30:26 pm »
David, It's not a bush but a 25' tree. But it is the one with the green fruit just turning to yellow. They will be orange when ripe.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 05:36:03 pm »
Justin....the Prairie Grass here will get 2-3 foot tall....love grass...phragmite.....salt cedars......mesquites.....tumble weeds ....and plum thickets....all burn pretty fast and hot.....the wildfire we had 5 years ago killed over 10,000 head of cattle...decimated the rabbit....quail....and antelope populations....between the stinking carcasses....and Tue 10 foot sand dunes that were created in the weeks after the fire.....it was a terrible sight to see and smell....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:21 pm »
 `Sounds like a heck of a cook out, to me. 8) I'd recomend Stubbs Soppin Sauce.
Lakeland, Florida

JustinNC

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 11:45:52 pm »
Yikes. Area where wife is from, grass got MAYBE knee high to the speed goats, no trees or brush except the cactus and yucca unless it was around a house or old homestead.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 12:27:32 am »

El D, I would imagine you have creosote bushes there also.  Well you guys must've gone through a lot of Ketchup then.  Whoowhee, this critter has been here awhile, thank God for ketchup!  As the Vulture in the far side cartoon, said to the other vultures. ;D
Well Eddie, since you showed them the oranges, and beans, that didn't get trampled, and the loquats, and the garden, you might as well tell them that the Strawberries, have been out since April, and the Festival is this month.  Yeah, it has been hot and windy here, and there was a big fire up north of Melbourne.  I-95 was closed down for awhile.  600 or so acres.  But when I was in the FD, it was what I hated most.  Brush fires!!  But it was job security...... ::)  Hey, where are you going with those road flares?  Huh? oh, I uh, just uh, am going to put some in my truck, in case I break down....yeah, in case I break down..... ::) >:D  We actually had one of the kids in our explorer groups,  who was coming into the station, when we were all out on a call, and loading up on road flares.  Whenever we had a brush fire, somehow he was always there.......Hmmm 2+2......then one of his buddies got mad at him, and squealed on him, and led us to his stash, and the cops had him talking quite a bit about his exploits.  Speaking of Strawberries, I am heading over to Plant City, tomorrow to get a few of flats of them, some for me, my Brother, My Girlfriend, her Sister, and some friends.  Yeah, it is nice beach weather.  It has warmed up in Thompson Falls, Mt also.  Highs in the upper thirties, and lower forties.  They had some sub Zero weather a couple of times.  Some nasty type of weather, snow, then rain, then freezing temps, snow, rain, and so forth.  Some people had ice balls in their drive ways, and walkways, and porches.  A place called Choteau, about three or so hours from me, gets a lot of nasty weather.  It had a storm come through two weeks ago, and had winds well over a hundred miles per hour !!! :o  Then the week after that they had low temps, of -26 ! :o :o  But it is a beautiful area, but I am thankful I built my house in TF !  I am going to have to crank up my airconditioner pretty soon! :(  We got a little bit of rain today.  :)  I have a Friend I used to work with, who has a nursery, and he raises loquats, and sells them to the Chinese.  I was never impressed with them.  Loquats, not the Chinese.  That Ipe' looks pretty.  I was in Sebring this weekend, and there was a place that had a bunch of them, and they were all blooming.  Well you guys, unfortunately, we will be getting high temps, and humidity, and lots of skeeters, with the first good rain.  We have some that are big enough to stand flat footed, and rape a turkey, and some that real tiny, and sound like a high pitched dentist drill, and feel like it when they bit you.  Those are the little Asian tiger skeeters.  You can hear them at night just as you are about to go to sleep, and then you can't sleep, because you are busy trying to find them!  If you don't they WILL find you!   >:D >:D :o

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 12:47:58 am »
Whhhoooley Crap! Take a BIG, DEEP BREATH, Wayne. And empty your PM box so somebody can send you one back. ( I'll be camping at the TBOF this weekend)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 12:58:50 am »

Hey, I collect them!  Some people collect stamps..... ;D

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 03:08:10 am »

Correction on the 600 acres brush fire, it is or was actually 16,000 acres.  In Oak Hill, Fl. about 30 miles of I-95 and part of US 1 were shut down for awhile.  One home and two hunt camps were destroyed, and over 300 homes are threatened.  It is supposed to be 25 % contained, as of this afternoon.  Don't know if it is under control, or out, or if any more homes were destroyed, or damaged as of yet.  Anywho, it is that time of year...... :(

Wayne

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 01:56:09 am »
Mullet those are great pics.. That oj looks good too!!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 03:37:02 pm »
Spring really IS just around the corner.  Saw these two deer playing in the pasture the other day.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:44 pm »
That's cool......looks like back home to me....I love the snow...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome