Author Topic: Tis the "season" for a wood haul...  (Read 5226 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Tis the "season" for a wood haul...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 11:26:11 pm »
Lee,

I'll attach a picture of how the cedar looks with a turkey fan.  I'm not very artistic, but it is a quick, cheap way to do a fan.  I agree, the  hawk/turkey picture is very cool.  I can understand not keeping pesticides.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Canuck Archer

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:26 am »
If someone can fly over Canada and drop some osage seeds, that would make me very happy.  I envy those of you who are south of the border, and those who have access to Yew. 

I welcome conversation from Canadian Bowyers too.  I started making bows last summer, and have learned a lot.  As soon as I figure out how to post pictures of them I will do that. 

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »
If someone can fly over Canada and drop some osage seeds, that would make me very happy.  I envy those of you who are south of the border, and those who have access to Yew. 

I welcome conversation from Canadian Bowyers too.  I started making bows last summer, and have learned a lot.  As soon as I figure out how to post pictures of them I will do that. 

Maybe this Fall I can mail you some Osage Orange "fruits" for you to process/plant.

Hey George, that does look very cool!  I may just do that with this hen Turkey fan and possibly tool up a leather portrait of my Harris Hawk to go over the center plate.  Thanks for the idea.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

youngbowyer

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »
Lee,

I'll attach a picture of how the cedar looks with a turkey fan.  I'm not very artistic, but it is a quick, cheap way to do a fan.  I agree, the  hawk/turkey picture is very cool.  I can understand not keeping pesticides.

George

Is that the one you made George? that wood looks like ERC, Mind posting more pictures so we can determine if it is. The heartwood look a little dark though. Does that tree have blue berries/ cones?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:06 pm »
Yup, definitely ERC...

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:48 am »
I believe it was ERC.  Some of the trees had blue berries.  I also had an apple orchard and lots of the trees got those weird cedar/apple growth things on them.  When they did the renovation to my pond up there the dozer guy bulldozed all the cedar trees along the bank and I went out and cut 3 disks off the largest cedar tree.  If I had it to do over, I'd cut the disks at an angle with the chain saw instead of straight through.  Then you'd have an oval to work with.  The only challenge is that cedar likes to check between the lobes of the round.  Fortunately, the fan covers over half of it so you can hide a split or in one case a completely broken off lobe under the fan.  I used a hand held belt sander to make the disk nice and flat.  That heartwood really is striking once the finish gets applied.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Holten101

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 12:11:58 pm »
I have been stocking up on my prefered wood this winter too. I found out a buddy of mine at my local archery range is a forester, which has opened up for a practically unlimited supply of Wych Elm:-). Wych Elm is THE bow wood around here (Denmark), so I took all my little trailer could handle:-)

The trunk to the left (below) is Prunus Padus, which we cut down to make room for the chainsaw around a much bigger Elm tree (leaning against the wall...barely visible).....Im curious to test the Prunus Padus since we have alot of it locally and it is regarded by foresters as unusuable.

Since the picture was taken I have split all of it (very easy when its freezing) and unfortunatly the biggest trunk had bad propellar twist:-(....still leaves enough for a dozen bows or so:-)

Cheers

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 12:19:40 pm »
I love it!  Congrats on a great load of Bow wood...I'm still "stalking" the local woodlots I have permission to cut on and making mental notes on the few species I'd like to try soon.

Thanks for sharing~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »
Awesome wood you got their.. Wish I could get my hands on some of that ERC... It is absolutely beautiful....

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 10:22:16 pm »
Awesome wood you got their.. Wish I could get my hands on some of that ERC... It is absolutely beautiful....

Where about's are you located?  If any of this cures nicely and is not too knotty I'd gladly trade ya a stave for something you might have locally...

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold