Author Topic: Shipping a bow???  (Read 3816 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Shipping a bow???
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:26:36 pm »
 With the PA bow trade coming up I thought it might be a good idea if we explain/ show the best ways to ship bows? That way everyone gets their new bows in one piece!! I know some of the guys are kind of new( Not trying to insult anyone) and maybe have never received or shipped a bow before. I also know the postal service can be kind of brutal on packages sometimes. I will try to get some pics up of how I do it later.   Thanks Bill
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline John K

Re: Shipping a bow???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:38 pm »
pack it like you expect a truck to drive over it and it will be fine  :D

Seriously, use pvc, carpet rolls, Shipping tube, ect..Make sure to wrap the bow  good with bubble wrap or something similar , especially the tips and everything should be good  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »
Good idea, I was thinking of going to a carpet store and getting old cardboard tubeing wrapping the bow in bubble wrap and shipping usps. I have never shipped or recieved a bow so I am interested how most do it. thanks HickoryBill

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »
I've been thinking about starting thread this since I entered the PA  bow trade,I just didn't want to offend anyone in the process.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »
 ???
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:40:57 am »
I have a Lowes and Home Depot by the house and have shipped enough bows that I donlt even have to ask for the old rolls antmore. They just wave as I carry them out. They work well. I starten using cheap plastic caps for the ends and now wrap them in bubble wrap too. USPS for me too. I haven't had a problem yet. I also ship priority.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 02:08:48 am »
I use thin walled PVC pipe either 3" or 4" depending on the bow(s). I put end caps on both ends and wrap the bow in bubble wrap. You can buy a 10' piece of 4" PVC for just over $8 and the end caps are less than $2 each. I ship USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. I was told by a postal worker to ship valuable things priority mail because fewer postal workers touch it. It usually gets to it's destination in two days too.  I get delivery confirmation so the package can be tracked if necessary.  I don't buy insurance because I have no way to proove the value of my selfbows if the bow is damaged. I have shipped lots of bows this way and never had a bow damaged by USPS.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:40 am »
   PatB   "I use thin walled PVC pipe either 3" or 4" depending on the bow(s). I put end caps on both ends and wrap the bow in bubble wrap. You can buy a 10' piece of 4" PVC for just over $8 and the end caps are less than $2 each."

This is the same thing I do. It weighs less than the cardboard rolls (less shipping cost) I'm cheep on the bubble wrap. I just stuff walmart bags around it :-[
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:36:05 am »
I use grocery bags and wadded news paper too. We save bubble wrap from packages we recieve. I haven't had to buy any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:38:20 am »
...also, If you buy two 10' PVC tubes with a "bell" end you can make 3 shipping tubes.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:40:25 am »
i have used the cradboard tubes in the past
but i think  i am going to check into the pcv tubes

i get my bubble wrap from work
ya'll have no idea how many auto parts come fvrom FORD in bubble wrap
i have boxes full,evrything from the small (less than dime size bubbles) to large (golf ball size bubbles)
im to cheap to buy it if i can get it for free
oh ya,i also use plastic grocery bags for packing too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:51:41 am »
Carpet tubes are free and work well but only for straight limb bows.  When shipping a recurve or RD bow then the only thing I have been able to do is make my own rectangular shipping boxes out of heavy duty corrugated cardboard that I recycle from furniture stores.  Heck of a job to make but when done I cap the ends with 3/8" plywood that's stapled down, makes the whole thing very strong.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:59:11 pm »
have also been successful making my own triangular shaped boxes outta bicycle boxes.
stuffed well with packing to protect-the wood ends are a good idea
only shipped two so far but they arrived safe!
both shipped ups
wild women don't get the blues

Offline trapperDave

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 01:06:47 pm »
Ive used two of the triangular priority document "boxes" available at USPS. Bubble wrap bow, slide one over each end and slip one inside the other in  the middle. Tape the heck out of it and off she goes. I have sent/recieved a ahlf dozen or more recurves this way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »
I have heard some horror stories about shipping UPS. Never had a problem with USPS.
  If you go online to the USPS site you can order the triangular priority boxes in bundles of 10(I think) for free. USPS will ship them right to your door.