Author Topic: Well that's a first! AND NOW A SECOND!  (Read 6395 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Well that's a first! AND NOW A SECOND!
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
Was just outside practicing for a 3d shoot this weekend.  After the first three arrows into the target bag I hear a

"Sir, can you put that down."  (Police Officer in car pulling up)
"What down?" I replied
"The arrow. Can you put the arrow down.  Not the bow."
"Oh. Ok." I said.

She got out the cruiser and we had a lil talk...Said she couldn't see the tip of the arrow(blunt) and thats why I had to put it down...She understood the sport and supported it.  Said all her brothers bow hunt.  But I guess I HAVE to take it to the woods now just to practice at 10yds.

Oh Well...just another walk than.

Just wanted to share my experience lol.  Usually cops say put down the knife or gun.  But hearing "Put down the arrow" surprised me haha.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:51:39 pm by aznboi3644 »

HatchA

Re: Well that's a first!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:11:00 pm »

Y'know...  I've been told I have a "problem with authority" in the past, by many different people.

I don't have a problem with authority - just with the people that think themselves worthy of the title.

When you say "was just outside..."  do you mean on your own property?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:27:58 pm »
i know the feeling

our city has an ordinance about such things
we cant even shoot a bb gun in our back yards
if someone were to see it and call johny law,they could take said "weapon",fine you,possibly arrest and jail you for it
it doesnt leave alot of options of places to shoot,unless you belong to a range(we have very very few)
not even allowed(by law) to target/stump shoot on public land.
that ones says "no target or nuisance shooting allowed"

cant wait ot buy my 40 acres and get the hell out of town
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »
yeah I was on my property...just five steps from the front stoop.  About 10 yards away from the building.

Funny thing is that the officer did not tell me that it was "illegal" to shoot outside at any point during the conversation.  Just told me that it "wasn't safe".

I've also been told I have a problem with the authority...sometimes I open my mouth too much lol.  But yeah some ppl think they are above all just because of a badge.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:26:01 pm »
LOL I was at a friends house one time on the edge of city limits (loosely city limits in the country).  They were shooting skeet with shotguns.  I walked around the front of the house and two cops pulled up.  They got out and spoke to me asking about some shooting.  And about that time they cut loose with the shotguns.  Those cops hit the dirt and drew pistols.  LOL scared they heck out of them.  It was pretty funny.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:12 pm »
This is why I love living in the country.  If I want to build a 10' tall fire and dance around it in my underwear while shooting a gun, ain't nobody going to say a thing.  My neighbors/family already know I am "unique"
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:58:14 pm »
Where I live it's about like Hooterville my mom had a squirrel problem she called city hall and got permission to shoot the little buggers with a shot gun, she then called me and I racked the little devils up.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:02:14 pm »
I would check your local and state laws/ordinances.  If there is nothing prohibiting it, I'd tell them to piss off, of course finding a kinder way of saying that might serve you well but the appropriate words presently escape me.  Safety police ::)  You'll put an eye out with that thing :o

Nate Danforth

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »
Man, I seriously held back from ranting in my post above ^^  but as I've calmed down now and have seen that others are like minded (I'm with you, Nate!!), I don't feel quite so worked up about it any more :)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 08:21:34 pm »
I agree that things have gotten out of hand. That said however, the story I will relate is true...

A young (pre or early teen) in the local bow club here was in his back yard practicing with his bow. UNSUPERVISED by a parent or any one else. Well he got careless and let loose an arrow that went over their garage that was the 'safety' backstop. The arrow went across the alley, punched through a guys glass sliding patio door and thumped him in the chest as he was reading the paper. Luckily no penetration but a good bruise and a hell of a scare.

In some respects we have brought this on ourselves. Unsupervised kids and some unsupervised adults do some pretty stupid things. Instead of just punishing the offenders, it is easier to simply outlaw the whole thing.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:33:26 pm »
Bevan, you've touched on a couple of very valid points!

Firstly

In some respects we have brought this on ourselves. Unsupervised kids and some unsupervised adults do some pretty stupid things.

This is very true.  People have become complacent in their way of living.  They rely on the "Health & Safety Police" to ensure we all live in a sugarplum, rose-tinted world of dreaminess.  If anything happens which steps outside the boundaries of this safe little existence - well there's always the option to sue the Hell outta someone...  doesn't matter who.

I'm only 36 (he said, hoping it is still considered young...) and back when I was a kid, you saw a hole in the ground - you walked AROUND it!!  You didn't need barriers and safety tape and warning signs, telling you to be careful and "don't fall in the hole!!"...  we used something called "common sense".

To my ever increasing sadness, however, I'm finding out every day that "common sense" really isn't all that common any more.  In attempting to "idiot-proof" our lifestyle, we've ironically given rise to an increase in the idiot population.

Instead of just punishing the offenders, it is easier to simply outlaw the whole thing.

Again - a very good point!  I'm coming dangerously close to talking about politics here but it's a Helluva lot easier to generalise and have "knee jerk rections" to some small little occurances.  Knife crime is on the increase in Ireland???  Ban all purchasing, selling and importing of "samurai swords".   I mean really...  Like that's gonna help matters.

Again - common bloody sense is nowhere to be seen!!

I'm going off now to take some happy pills to calm down...  apologies if I get up anyone's nose with what I've said.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:32 pm »
At least your cop was aware of how a bow and arrow works...

Years ago, when I was even younger and even more naive, a couple officers came to the house to speak with my parents concerning issues with a neighbor. My parents were drinking, which made the situation a little uneasy, but being embarrased and frustrated with it all I went down in the yard (mind you we live out in the woods, or as close to it as you can get around here) about 60-70 yards from the house, and was shooting at the straw bales from about ten yards. Upon noticing me, the older officer told me to put the bow down and come up there. He caught me off gaurd and I responded, as a dopey kid would, with "huh?". He then reached for his pistol and told me again to put the bow down. Which I did of course. I asked about the arrows, on my belt in the quiver. I figured they didn't want me doing them or anyone any harm, and since the arrows had the points I figured he'd want me to put them down too. Nope, just the bow. So I went and sat on the bank with a quiver of pointy sticks on my belt, and he didn't take his hand off his gun until I was about thirty yards from the bow towards them. Not that I was intending anyone harm but that didn't seem any safer to me ???.  

Although, I have to disagree HatchA... I don't think common sense even exists. It doesn't always mean the same to everyone, and the really big issues with "common sense" are more so an issue with a lack of Darwinism. Anyone can forget their keys in the car, even if it's common sense to grab them. But big stupid acts are just crimes resulting from our wonderful efforts to do away with the beautiful thing we call Natural Selection ;)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 10:49:12 pm »
You said a she cop??  was she pretty or a bow -wow?   If she was a bow-wow you should have told her to go chase some more parked cars.......... >:D >:D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 12:52:37 am »
When I was a kid way back in the'50s I hunted everywhere I could walk and of course had permission. That was in a small rural kinda town and everybody knew each other.

When my boys were small, in the '80s, they could shoot in the yard but I got calls from neighbors if they saw them elsewhere.

Now, I am sorry to say that I hate to see kids with bb/pellet rifles walking on my land or even just down the street. It just plain makes me nervous unless I know them.

Can't speak for anyplace else but around here very few people hunt small game (I get funny looks cause I eat squirrels) but mischief is very popular.

With that being said,anzboi3644 you are a better man than I am. I aint fool enough to mess with a cop but I would have made a fool out of myself. And pissed her off big time!
You did good.

Lane

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:20:30 am »
I'm glad I live out where I can shoot an AK in my yard without anybody complaining.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.