Author Topic: Shoot Shaft Taper Direction?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Shoot Shaft Taper Direction?
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:07 pm »
Does anyone know which end of a shoot Native Americans used for the nock end?  Also, which way do you all put the taper direction on your shoot shafts(skinny end for nock?)? 

I know for cane/bamboo the fat end is the point end and the skinny is the nock.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shoot Shaft Taper Direction?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:00:55 pm »
When I make shoot and cane arrows I use the butt(big) end for the point. This give you a weight forward arrow plus the taper going back to the nock makes the the arrow more spine tolerant.
  I believe some native cultures used their shafting this way also but others used the butt end for the nock and carved a bulbous nock for their pinch type grip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:05:41 pm »
In the majority of cases, the fat end of the shoot was the nock end.  Native American arrows are barrel tapered with a bulbous or expaning nock.  You can't easily carve a bulbous nock from the skinny end of the shoot.  Some people like to think that some NA nocks were expanded by splitting the nock and then bending the wood out to form a Y shape.  It works, but all the nocks I've seen on NA arrows were carved.

Also, there is a bit of folklore behind NA arrow design.  Many believed that an arrow "likes" to be shot with the skinny end pointed toward the target, similar to the way it grows (and points to the sky).  The same concept applied to bows: the bow's top end was the end growing toward the sky.  Some cultures added hair or facial carvings to the top end of the bow as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:15:03 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »
I have made them both ways. I refer the butt end (grew loser to the ground) to get the point.  I've made them the other way if the nock end is too narrow for a self nock. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 01:13:45 am »
Thanks guys!
Aim Small...Hit Small