Author Topic: I wasn't going to do this but....  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Easternarcher

I wasn't going to do this but....
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:53:06 pm »
I figured the tiller was good enough and I'd move on to finishing, then build another, but I guess another opinion or three wouldn't hurt.

I tillered this 74" ELB(sorta) this weekend and shot a few rounds with it.
draw weight of 55lbs at 28" almost 60lbs at 29 in. I didn't build it right in the first place and ended up almost running out of belly wood. I don't have the tips finished yet and was planning on antler nocks. Tiller is 1/4in. positive on upper limb.

Anyways, I think the tiller is good, maybe abit stiff out of the upper fade????first 6 inches or so?
Seems to shoot hard and fast. a bit shocky but again the tips are not finished.  tri-lam of hickory-purpleheart and yellowheart bellywood.  What do you guys think? IS my tiller correct????
Thanks

PS, the first pic is my first trad RobinHood in a very long time, shot at 12-13 yards.. Fitting it was with an English Longbow huh?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:57:50 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: I wasn't going to do this but....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »
 I have to agree, I'd say just a little scraping out of the fade on the upper limb. Not much, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:50:33 am »
where do you get purple and yellow heart, and how much does it usually cost
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:45 am »
Looks pretty good to me.
If pressed I'd agree on the slightly stiff just above the handle, there isn't really a 'fade' as such on a full compass ELB but just a hint of a swelling at the grip.
Mind if you ease off the upper limb then it may make the lower one seem too strong, any work near the grip has a pronounced effect 'cos that's where there's most leverage acting.
Lookin' good.
Del
(Mind you don't tread on all that spare string hangin' off the bottom ;D)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:18:22 am »
Looks pretty good to me.
If pressed I'd agree on the slightly stiff just above the handle, there isn't really a 'fade' as such on a full compass ELB but just a hint of a swelling at the grip.
Mind if you ease off the upper limb then it may make the lower one seem too strong, any work near the grip has a pronounced effect 'cos that's where there's most leverage acting.
Lookin' good.
Del
(Mind you don't tread on all that spare string hangin' off the bottom ;D)
Thanks Del.
Yes, I realize about the string hanging....it's still my tiller string. haven't had time to make up a real one yet.
Yes, my grip is just swelling out of the limbs as you say, so I shall be very careful with tweeking that tiller. If I do that, I may have to alter the lower limb tiller as well. I can always pike the limbs to maintain draw weight. But if I can keep 50lbs, that'll be good anyways. This was just an experiment anyways from leftovers that were only 1 in. wide at best. after sanding I have 13/16th wide at the arrow pass and about the same at the grip for thickness.