Author Topic: Board Bow Lumber Selection?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Arrowind

Board Bow Lumber Selection?
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:17:24 am »
Is there a rule of thumb when selecting boards for bows regarding quarter sawn or flat sawn?  I just bought some quarter sawn white oak on sale...  I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake.  The grain on both boards is very strait on what I intend to be the back....as far as I can tell the sides are straight as well...

I suppose I should have asked this question prior to rushing over to the hardwood yard and picking through the stacks... ;D
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Board Bow Lumber Selection?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:19:21 am »
Any chance for some pics??  We like pics!!! :D :D
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:22:01 am »
both will work for bows. many  people swear by one or the other but as long as they are straight, free of knots, and have NO GRAIN RUN-OFFS on the sides. some woods may require you to chase rings when flat sawn, however, like you would do on an osage stave
"Call them wheels, or call them cams. I don't care. All I know is that the only wheels that should be killing deer are like the ones on my truck."

Offline eagleone

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:25 am »
ditto from above, both work - just watch out for run offs

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:55:27 am »
go to the "build along"section
click on "jawge's" website
it has every piece of info for selecting the best boards
and info on everything related to archery(or damn near anyhow)
one of the best websites for new bow builders and the experienced bow builders  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:20 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
Quarter-sawn is good as long as ALL FOUR surfaces,the faces and the edges are straight lines. Rift sawn is easier to judge. 

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 01:49:16 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I really appreciate the help.  I have these two beautiful white oak boards no sitting in my garage / shop.  I am just waiting for some inspiration now for what kind of bows will emerge.  Also I'm trying to build up a stockpile so I have wood to make bows from when I want it.   25% off I had to get some.... 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:29:57 pm »
Just look at the board with a Jetti mindset and make the bow jump out of the board. I do it all the time! Saves time and soar muscles!  ::) ::)  In all seriousness: Good luck and have fun!!!
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania