Author Topic: micro-mini food plots-hacksaw  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Blacktail

micro-mini food plots-hacksaw
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:04:44 pm »
hacksaw wrote a GREAT article about small food plots ...and i want to thank him so much for the idea...I would like to do the same...my trouble is that i live in central Oregon and the country is HIGH DESERT...during the summer it can get in 90 to 100 and little shade in some areas...there is some areas out side of town that is public hunting and also open timber of ponderous pine and juniper...i went to the local seed and feed store and they told me that pretty much any seed i get will need constint watering....SO,does any one have any ideas about what i can grown that wont take that much water and wont be to expensive in cost...john

Offline Matt S.

Re: micro-mini food plots-hacksaw
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:33 pm »
You might be able to find some useful information here: http://desertsurvivor.blogspot.com/search?q=garden.
This is my sister's blog about living in the desert. They live in the Great Basin desert which is a high desert. The link should show any of the blog posts concerning gardening. If you scroll down you'll see where she has made a square foot garden.

Hope this helps!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:02:34 pm »
thanks so much matt...the great basin is in my area so this might help out...john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »
John, instead of trying to grow food plots you might find natural salt(mineral) licks that the animals visit on a regular basis. Old privys  and smoke houses at abandoned farms or ranches is one place animals search for deposited minerals.
  If you have any rivers or streams you could plant along them or at least fertilize the native weeds growing there to attract animals.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:15:29 pm »
John,  make sure it's legal on public land.

Lane