Author Topic: Shooting snakeheads with a bow.  (Read 8123 times)

Offline bucksbuoy

Re: Shooting snakeheads with a bow.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 02:03:54 am »
Snake heads dont come out of the water or breath air. They are a very normal fish. I had them as pets wen I was a kid. Filter broke. They died. No walking or air breathing. I have heard they are good to eat.
Its only wood

Offline oat

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 02:12:35 am »
Here, in Thailand. They tastes very good.  ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 02:31:37 am »

Oat, if I hadn't just finished eating a little while ago, I would be very hungry right now!  That looks delicious.  How are things over there now?
                                                                          Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:44 am »
Well....Looks like Bow Backing to me...... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:51 am »
wow, oat, that does look good!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline johnston

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 02:28:46 am »
I caught a fish last summer out of a large creek below Lake Murray here in the midlands of SC. Thought it was a snakehead but one of our DNR biologist said bowfin. If it has a spot on the tail it is a bowfin or mudfish. And it tastes godawful.

Lane

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 03:41:10 am »

The head on a Snakehead is longer also, as opposed to the more round type of Mudfish head.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 11:20:11 am »
 Lane, if you are gonna eat a mudfish you have to skin and fillet it and put the meat on ice as soon as you catch it. Then it is white and flakey meat, if not it will get mushy. It is good fried or in fish cakes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 01:20:10 am »
Bowfins are very cool - and protected in some areas due to their rarity. Glad you mentioned the differences between the two. That said,  I HATE them  ;D or at least their heads...
Back in the day,  I had to take a vertebrate anatomy class and memorize every bone in a bowfin's skull  and how they compared with every other vertebrate.

Fun Fun Fun.....
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 02:52:50 am »

One old man told me a long time ago how to cook Mudfish.  He said you need to get a cedar plank, or shake, and clean it well, soak it in water, and fillet the Mudfish, and season both sides, and put olive oil on the board, and put some Cajun season, and garlic on it.  Then lay the seasoned fillet on the board, and wrap it with wet cotton string, to the board.  You need a good bed of coals, going, and then take the plank with the Mudfish filet's on it, and place it at an angle to the hot coals.  When the fish turns nice and golden, cut the string, and dump the fish in the fire, and eat the plank. ;D ;)

Wayne

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:32 pm »
 A good big mudfish, is excellent to eat. You have to fillet them and trim off everything that is'nt white boneless meat.No skin,no red side meat,no membrane and you have a very white ,tasty fish. My dad and I caught some nice ones out of the oxbows and creeks in the Big Pee Dee river swamp. Yummy !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:49:14 pm »
Sparrow, you moved quite aways from home didn't you? :o  Big Pee Dee.  Some good fishing in there.  Never got to fish there, but been by it, and and the Little Pee Dee river.  Read about the fishing, and always wanted to go there sometime.  How's the fishing in Washington?  You do any Salmon fishing there?  When I finally get to Montana, I will be going over to Salmon Idaho, to fish for them .  My Buddy and his family go and they get some huge ones.

Wayne