Author Topic: What do you carry?  (Read 15296 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What do you carry?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 07:08:07 pm »
I own guns but never felt a need to carry one. I've got big guns, little guns, long guns and short guns. I just don't carry then cept to the woods and very rarely there.  I grew up in Savannah and lived there until I was 28 years old. I lived in the downtown section and in mid town. I walked or rode a bicycle everywhere, day or night and never felt the need to carry a gun or never got in a perdiciment where I thought I needed a gun.  So shoot me!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »
Taurus .380 set up with Crimson Trace laser for around town. On the road a S&W M&P .40 or Glock 23. For the house a Remington 870 with 20" barrel and extended mag. I have a NC carry permit. I ain't paranoid but I also have a machete, K-Bar and baseball bat behind the seat of my truck.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:07 pm »
I've been robbed at gunpoint twice before, once when I was a little kid a guy put a gun to my head and told my mom to give him her purse or he was gonna shoot me.  I was around 6 but I remember every detail of it.  Then around 6 or 7 years ago I was robbed at gun point while working at a video store in my neighborhood by a male and a female wearing masks.  The guy was holding the gun on me and told his girlfriend accomplice that he wanted to shoot me but she talked him out of it and they took the money and ran.  I saw them coming from around the corner as it was a pretty big store and had a glass front.  They were already wearing their masks so I knew what was about to happen before they even came into the store.  It was pretty scary.  Since then I carry a gun with one in the chamber everywhere I go.  Never know when some crazy buthole is gonna try and shoot you.  Sounds paranoid but I am speaking from experience.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:21 pm »
Must be a southern thing. I never met anyone up here that carried a gun. We all have them in the house though.
Josh-- If you had a gun that could have ended differently but maybe not better.
I'm with Pat I never saw the need to carry. That includes when traveling in some of the poorest countries. As a Kid our family was held up at gunpoint along with a buss full of people by heavily armed guerrillas in Kenya. I think having a gun could have made that situation worse. We were let go unharmed.  Not saying self protection is a bad idea but I wonder how many times these hold up/robbery  situations actually end up worse when both sides have a gun.  To each his own though. If I was female I might really consider it  ;D.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »
Glock 19 almost always. KelTec 32 when I do not have the Glock. A derringer is always in reach in the car.
I hate it has to be, but people have lost their durn minds these days. I dont want to have to shoot someone, but I will protect my family, my property and myself at all times.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Grunt

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:11 pm »
I've never been robbed at gunpoint. I have been quite a number of gunfights. When I was serving as a Marine grunt in Vietnam getting shot at was a daily event. After eleven months of walking point, setting in night ambushes, combat patrols, hole watch, and assaults on fortified positions, I took a round from a .30 cal machine gun through my hip. Getting shot was the best thing that ever happened to as it allowed me to survive. Ever since then I've always had a gun handy everywhere I go. I shoot regularly. You see, even though it was the best thing that ever happened to me I don't want to get shot again.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:12 pm »
I carry a Judge that shoots 410 triple Ott buck and 45 long colts.  Have the shells stagered.  They tell us that pepper spray is a good deterrent for Griz so I carry both spray and the Judge.  We have had several people killed and eaten this past year.  Some areas the sound of a shot when hunting elk will bring the griz in and they take over the kill.  When the wolves kill an elk and only eat part or none of it the caucus becomes bait for the griz and wandering up on one of those kills is a real problem.  Hawk Huston has a bear dog named Ditch that has kept him out of harms way many times.  To be honest carrying a gun for bear protection for me is more of a mental thing than actually thinking I can protect myself in a close encounter.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 10:28:10 pm »
I've never been in any "situation's" unless you wanna count the teenage fence hoppin days when I heard a gunshot or two while I was runnin hell bent for heaven ;D. But I do like to cary the 45 in the console and the 380 whilst I'm out huntin rocks and stuff :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
 One thing I'll add to Pat's comment. It's not the same now as it was when I was 28, and Pat doesen't hang out in the ghetto of Savannah anymore. I used to shoot pool for money on the "other side of the tracks" when I was young, too and had a head full of "Froe". 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
Colt King Cobra 357 magnum.
bryan irwin

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
I own guns but never felt a need to carry one. I've got big guns, little guns, long guns and short guns. I just don't carry then cept to the woods and very rarely there.  I grew up in Savannah and lived there until I was 28 years old. I lived in the downtown section and in mid town. I walked or rode a bicycle everywhere, day or night and never felt the need to carry a gun or never got in a perdiciment where I thought I needed a gun.  So shoot me!  ;D

Funny Pat, but I'm with you.  I live in a city (or at least metro) where there is some serious crime, but I don't generally put myself in places where I need protection.

Wolf- I've been eyeing a similiar gun and just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet....so to speak.   I never thought much about home protection until I had kids and it changed my perspective.  Until then, guns were always for shooting and hunting.  My thoughts were that a 45/410 gives good flexibility to shoot someone in the dark then have some knock down power to shoot the crack head that won't stop (stagger the shells like Joe)!  That being said, and I think it was said in the other thread, if you carry a gun, you must be willing to use it without hesitation.  Good thread though.  Always interesting to hear what others ideas are.  And you are right Jesse, I think it is a Southern thing.  I've lived in the middle of the country, deep south and far north and these Yankees don't seam much on guns  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
I have carried and I have not carried.  When I was younger I was carrying one time when three punks got mouthy.  At first I felt pretty "chesty", then realized that bravado would just make the situation worse.  Was I really gonna pull a gun and pop someone over comments made?  It was that moment that I finally understood a calm head and a non-confrontational attitude was the best thing to carry.  But in the end I still want the option of carrying if all other options fail.

Once upon a time a Concealed Carry Permit was virtually the same as a "good guy card".  Now I feel concern for people carrying and thinking they now have nothing to fear.  That's a dangerous combination.

At this time I only own an 1851 Confederate Navy .44 cap-n-ball and I sometimes carry it when in the woods in case I need to scare a mountain lion off.  But I am planning on getting a .45 ACP in some type of 1911 configuration. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:33 am »
i dont carry only cause i dont have my permit as of yet
but i do keep loaded weapons in the house for protection of my family and belongings
once i get my permit i WILL carry a .45 acp custom combat model

trust me its not just a southern thing
we "Yankees" love our guns like no others do
we just dont like to let folks know if we are carrying or not  ;)
i have alot of friends that have cc permits and you would never know which ones are carrying and which ones arent
if you ask them,all they say is "yup i got my permit"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 12:15:14 am »
In the winter with a good coat I carry my Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP, as the season changes I'll switch over to my S&W M&P .40 w/ CrimsonT carried IWB and when the shorts weather hits I always have my Ruger .380 LCP w/ CrimsonT in back pocket or cargo pocket.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:38 am »
Taurus model 669 .357 mag, 6 inch barrel. 158 grain federal fusion ammo. My wife carries a Kel Tec 380(can't remember the model) 
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania