Author Topic: Quality Bowyery from PA Members..........  (Read 7381 times)

Offline half eye

Quality Bowyery from PA Members..........
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »
Hey Fellas,
      I was hand rubbin some wax into my bow collection today and the light bulb came on. I have bows made by fellow PA guys. While each bow is different I can assure you that there is not a dog in the bunch. All of these bows draw smoothly, shoot hard, and are very well mannered. Some are made by "young guns" and some by experienced gentlemen, but to the bow they are all very good bows.
      I recalled some conversations with some of the guys and they were pointing out problems, flaws and such (as they saw it)......that simply dont exist. So for one guy only I'd like to compliment all the guys on the site who build bows, please stop being your own worst critic and keep building them. Can't tell ya how many stick bows I've shot since the early 60's....you fellas build really good bows and I wouldn't get rid of a single one of them. Your quality of bowery is outstanding and gettin better all the time.
      Here's a pic of some of the bows: some by Ken75, JWHalverson, Toomanyknots, Hillbilly 61 and Dave 55.....you fellas buils first class bow and I'm proud to own some of them......keep it up.
rich

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Quality Bowyery from PA Members..........
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
Nice looking collection you have going. Appreciate you sharing. Could not agree more about the quality of work done by the people here. I'm learning everyday.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »
well said and I agree...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:55:00 pm »
well i think its great to own bows of others .you can look at it and remember the conversations and the fellowship that you shared with the other bowyer . not to mention get to shoot these bows. i also own several of halfeyes bows and their all excellent craftmanship .

might be fun to get a bow swap going on here ...im in if anyone wants to

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »
"might be fun to get a bow swap going on here ...im in if anyone wants to"

Hell, wait till I get me some hackberry this spring, I got a bow for everybody, :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:54 pm »
Rich,

I've got a bow or two of yours. It's only fitting I send you one sometime. keep in touch.

-Prof
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:06:05 pm »

might be fun to get a bow swap going on here ...im in if anyone wants to
[/quote]

I'm in if a swap gets goin
rich

Offline 1776J

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:16:18 pm »
Rich,..
that first one with the snake on it,... Osage? 

Offline dismount

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 10:28:50 pm »
I'm in. I don't have a bow from anybody.  :'( Yes, I'm whining) ;)

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »
     That first static recurve is a hickory self bow by Ken 75....screamin butt fast and smooth as silk.
rich

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:49:31 pm »
the one thing i cant do very well, is make bows! lol

good collection though!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »
Some of the bows posted on here are some of the finest I have seen, (none of them mine). I posted a red oak,board bow a couple of years ago that I managed to break and have not posted one since. I have made a half a dozen, but have given them to friends. I have not made one yet that shoots better than the old long bow I bought in the 80's (used) But I am closing in on it,thanks to all the great information I have reaped from being on this website. Thanks to all you guys submissions and sharing,I am getting there.
 Half eye  , Looks to be plenty of room on that rack for more bows.  Maybe someday, I will turn out a bow that will be worthy (Would'nt hold my breath)  '  Frank

Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:04:30 pm »
Well, I'm fairly new to bow building. I gotta say it's AWESOME to see and hear about all the bows here on PA. I don't think I could thank everybody enough for the wealth of information that gets shared and the bows that get shared also. I'm sure glad to be a part of the group!!! :D. I don't know if anybody would want one of my bows yet, but I would love to get in on a swap.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:07:01 pm »
Hey Sparrow,
       That's what I was talking about....ya broke one....made six. Hell Man yer way ahead of the game, and I'll bet them six shoot just fine (just not to your standards). Keep making them and pick designs that suit your style to get your motor runnin. I have the advantage of having some of the finest wood anywhere, and I still break bows, try stuff that doesn't work, and aint satisfied with them when they are done.......dont make mine or yours "no good" just not what the mental picture was, is all. So I hope ya all keep makin 'em.
rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11:07 pm »
Rich..It was a pleasure sending you that bow. I started collecting the bows I built and said I would keep 1 of each style I build. After all the conversations with half eye, I started giving them away ;) It feels a great deal better to know they are in someones possession that can enjoy them instead of hanging around on my wall.
 I'm all in on a bow swap. It would be fun to collect pieces of art the way y'all make them ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2