Author Topic: salvaged bamboo take down ....looking for advice?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
salvaged bamboo take down ....looking for advice?
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:19 pm »
I just saw a bow here on the PA that was cleverly made from the salvaged limbs of broken bows. I just made a boo/back/belly that hinged right out of the fades, so I thought why not try the same? so I cut off the limbs at the hinge, the rest of the limbs looked good. My question is what is the best wat to connect them to the handle, I've never tried this before. I guess 2 bolts ,but wont the bolt heads cut into the boo and/or weaken the limbs putting  holes through them?  Maybe someone has tried this  or knows of any usefull links. Thanks in advance for any help is gratefully appreciated
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Bevan R.

Re: salvaged bamboo take down ....looking for advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:54:51 pm »
I would suggest talking to Bingham products. They have limb bolts for takedowns and have been most helpfull to me when I have had questions.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:04:31 pm »
thanks Bevan, I think you where answering my post as I was answering yours!!!, I'll google them, but I think they're in the US , I'm in the UK and not patient enough to order bolts from them. Good idea though, didnt think of buying the right bolts!!!?, they must be available over here too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:10:52 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »
Have you tried Quicks? They have shops listed in Hampshire, Near London, Devon, & Leicester. I used to order stuff from them several years ago. Seemed like good folks.

Bevan

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »
there is a chance they will sell them , I'l try , thanks

Dave

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:54:33 pm »
 I would PM James Parker, robustus. He has already made that style of bow and sells it. I shot the hog with it in this Feb/Mar issue.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 04:05:27 am »
on that salvaged bow I posted I ripped the handle and installed tee nuts glued back together with a accent strip between the two pieces, the tee nuts cost about 40 cents each, on the boo perhaps a hardwood overlay like on the tips, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:23 am »
I'm not an expert in take downs, but I think it have to be a strong non bending part after the fade. On this one the most stressed area is not looking strong enough.

Here is some pics from Marc album  (schould find here http://www.ironwoodbowyer.com/)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:43 pm »
Man I have GOT to try this! Here I was thinking that takedown like this could only be done with FG.  :P
I have some awesome riser woods and half of a bamboo clum still.  ;)

Bevan

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »
thanks for the help guys,

Mullet,I've asked James for help many times but he never responds,dont think he likes me for some reason?
Bubby, dont suppose you could explain further' tee nuts glued together with an accent strip' not sure what teenuts are...
Fusizoli, youre right , thanks, I'm gonna have to reinforce that area, thanks for the pic. nice bow,good job you pointed that out , I'm glad I asked.

Dave

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 05:38:13 pm »
Dave, here's a pic of a tee nut and overlays on limbs and of the accent strip. I predrill my holes to the depth of the strip, then saw it out on my bandsaw, countersink bottom of holes and tap in the tee nuts, sand the saw lines out to a good fit and glue the three pieces together, work's well and easy on the wallet, hope this helps, Bubtobucket.com/albums/tt320/bubncheryl/Picture006.jpg[/IMG]

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:42:44 pm »
sorry about the blurry tee nut pic, but ya can tell what it is ,Bub

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »
Bubby,
Are the t-nuts in the riser? It looks from your pics that the limb bolts do not go all the way through, is that right? Very cool bow by the way. What the limbs mad from if I might pry? :)

Bevan

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »
yeah Bevan the tee nuts are in the rizer, if ya start from the belly of the bow limbs it go's, walnut with tee nut in bottom of hole, hickory and walnut, the limb's are maple, white oak, maple, the belly cuys off of some pyramid bows, I rip them on a tablesaw to thestart of the fades and finnish with a hand saw, don't really have the $ to waste the wood glued them up, sanded the edges down and they drew 54#. better than burn'n them, Bub