Author Topic: My First Indian Flat Bow - made from Cedar  (Read 9049 times)

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

My First Indian Flat Bow - made from Cedar
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »
 ;D

I think id like to start off by saying thanks to Eddie "Mullet" Parker for taking the time to teach me.

i have been trying to find the right technique and balance in the wood to pull out a great bow. i have been making shavings and breaking wood (green wood, and branches) to try to understand how this all comes together. no matter how much i read in books, watch videos, use already made bows, i just wasn't getting "it"... i was on the verge of just being happy to buy one from somebody that had the skills to get the job done. but then i found a magazine sitting in a chair at the book store next to me while i waited for my wife to find what she was looking for... it was amazing to me to see all the "regular Joe's" (honestly, not so regular) in the magazine doing what i wanted to do... it was my window into the world i have been so much longing to be a part of. it was full of inspirational stories of successful AND unsuccessful stories of hunting, stalking, and just the "idea" of being one with mother nature...

it was like a neon sign that said' "Welcome to Primitive Archer"

on this site i found the extra "oomph" i needed to not give up and not just encouragement, but practical help... i got to spend the day with a great person that understands the true value of generosity, fairness, and camaraderie. i brought over to have him inspect the tillering i was doing on some green pitiful stave's... and to my surprise he offered to stand over my shoulder to help my learning process along.. and a piece of cedar board to make my first Indian Flat Bow... it shoots as sweet as it smells..!!! it took us just about 8 hours of cutting , tillering, and drinking MILLER LIGHT BEER...  thanks to the influence of Pappy i was told. HeHe..  i still need to do the final work to it, but i walked away with something i didn't have before.. the ability and understanding what "cured wood" looks or feels like... and the knowledge to hack one out on my own..

my advise to all you would be bowyer's.. find someone near you on this forum and try to spend the time asking as many questions come to mind, and the most important part of that is listening.

i cant wait to crank out another one...  >:D O:)

Fla Cuban Redneck (a.k.a. Ffej)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:23:36 pm by mullet »
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: My First Indian Flat Bow - made from Cedar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »
Ya, you can read and read, but nothing teaches you the basics like working with someone who knows their stuff.  Welcome to the club!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »
Welcome to PA. You were fortunate tohook up with Eddie. He is a very tallented and knowlegable person and very generous too.
  The teaching ability of Miller Lite is renound and proof of that is the Tennessee Classic!  ;D
  I love your very artistic B&W photography, BTW!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »
 ;D thanks..!!! its great to be a part of this.

im also gonna have some more pictures up asap.. please feel free to comment on. And then ill post the final pics w nock guards and final finish w/ handle wrap.

8)
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline keef

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:18:16 pm »
 Can't wait to see the bow finished, and all the stages in between... I love these short bows, and I'm a total beginner too, so let us know how it goes

Cheers

Keith

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:28 pm »
 Jeff;

It was a pleasure to meet you and share  what little I know. It makes it very easy to teach somebody that acts like a sponge. My wife and I enjoyed your company very much and you are always welcome. And bring back your wife, she sounds just like mine when it comes to sticks and stones. ::)

And that wasn't a board bow, we split it from a piece of a tree. I thought making an Eastern Woodland, bend in the handle, cedar, flat bow would teach you a lot of the basics. And, if the cedar did blow to heck and back, (like I was waiting for), that would be a cool experiance also ;D.

This was the first time I have taken a bow from stave to a shooter in one day. I don't think that would have happened if we hadn't been Tag Teaming it. I'm glad you got to go home with a "shooter" and don't short change that little Hop- Hornbeam bow either. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bow and the hickory one also.

I sent you my pictures for you to post.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:25:26 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline toymaker

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:51 pm »
I'm glad you got to learn with someone overseeing your project. That is always the best way to learn.
However I am very disappointed in your choice of Brew! Miller Lite?  :o Blech! ;)

One of my other hobbies is home brewing and I have learned to make good beer:) I make about 60 gallons a year to drink and share. It's very similiar to bowmaking in that every once in awhile you end up with a splinter or fire wood.LOL

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:57:22 pm »
Congrats...the bow looks great.  Sounds like having a "hands on mentor" is a good way to put one on the path to success right out of the chute.  Great to see folk's helping others so willingly.

Regards,
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:59:37 pm »
Welcome!! Really looking forward to seeing the finished product(s).

That said, I do agree with toymaker...
However I am very disappointed in your choice of Brew! Miller Lite?  :o Blech! ;)

Homebrew, the ONLY way to go!! ;D ;D
And if made badly, you 'go' a lot!  >:D

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
 If you two go to the Classic, be sure and tell Pappy, Miller Lite sucks. :P :D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:01 pm »
good job fellows!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:07:08 pm »
ok here's what i did today.. i put the tips on, and i polyurethaned it...

it really brought out the red in the cedar.

thanks mullet, we cant wait to be able to all hang out... and the horn is bad ass.!!! i love it... it's what ill be using more than this flat bow, cuz i don't want to blow it out yet... lol...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:23:53 pm »
 Shoot the flat bow, It will live. A real live color picture would show that cedar off real nice.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »
 >:D yes Sir..!!! as soon as i put 4 more coats, a handle  and get some good arrows... ill be breaking that puppy in... i sure hope no deer or squirrel get in the way of my target practice...     O:) ;D

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:17:10 pm »
I just got done posting somewhere else about how awesome it is to be a part of what happens here on PA, and I'll say it again!!! ;D. That's a great lookin bow!! Keep up the good work.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI