Author Topic: Tree ID please  (Read 15193 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Tree ID please
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 09:32:24 pm »
I went fer a walk at lunch and these babies are everywhere! But their small diameter do you think 2" is enough to get a bow out of?

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 10:21:44 pm »
                       Yup, I use 2" branches all the time.........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 01:03:51 am »
Dana, Find yourself a nice 2" pole, cut it long and bring it home. In a month or so, split or band saw it down the center and strap it to a board to dry without twisting. Be sure the trunk isn't twisted before you cut it. Study the bark for spiral growth.  By cutting it long the ends can check a bit and you will still have enough wood for a bow after you cut off the checked ends. Look for arrow shoots while you're at it. I think it makes good shoot arrows. I have some shoots of our service berry(sarvis) drying now.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 07:50:51 am »
Thanks Pat & Bob if its not raining after work I will be takin another walk about.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:21 am »
My vote for serviceberry
http://www.utbl.net/~jkekoni/puut/tuomipihlaja/

The tree structure however looks more like bird cherry, but the leaves do not match.
http://www.utbl.net/~jkekoni/puut/tuomi/

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:10 pm »
Heres some serviceberry I cut yesterday, nice and straight the way Justin likes them. ;D
I was surprised how heavy they are. Will see what can be done with em.

Dana

[attachment deleted by admin]

Manistique, MI

Broken Arrow

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 03:22:42 am »
Looks kinda like muscle wood.  Leaves are way different, and it apperantly isn't as gnarly as muscle wood.  I hope it works out for ya.

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 08:18:14 am »
I think they will check and split if dried as round.

I would paint the ends ASAP.

Then I would work the thickness to somewhere around the final thickness. and use c-clams to clamp the to something non bending.
Then I would cover them with newspaper and leave them to dry.

I am not sure if the best would be to dry them with bark on, or bark off.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 10:59:47 am »
I sealed the ends with glue but they will have to wait to split them no time now.
I have them stored in a cool place. I also took a piece about 18" long and stripped the bark off I want
to see if that checks. I think this stuff is going to be like v maple as it looks like its gonna have tension wood on one side.

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 11:57:18 am »
Heres some serviceberry I cut yesterday, nice and straight the way Justin likes them. ;D
I was surprised how heavy they are. Will see what can be done with em.
Dana
Dana, I like them any way you send them to me.  ;D ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 02:52:07 pm »
Here's some pics, I know how much everyone likes pictures :) This is one of the serviceberry
staves after debarking and sawing it in half. I tried to split it but didn't want to go, maybe Justin Bunyan could of done it ;D
Its tight grain and the heart wood is quite striking. Under the bark there are raised lines that look
like veins. Appers to me that if I follow the wave in the heart wood that should give me the profile.

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 03:16:04 pm »
Wow that's pretty wood.Are you going to try to leave some heartwood in the bow?

Ralph

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 06:27:36 am »
I doubt if the heart wood is thick enuf, after one day the wood is turning an orangey color.

Dana

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 06:00:34 pm »
I finally got em all peeled and cut in half heres some pics

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 06:01:12 pm »
Forgot front and side profile

Manistique, MI