Author Topic: Tree ID please  (Read 15191 times)

Offline DanaM

Tree ID please
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:33:08 pm »
Hope you folk can help, I believe this is a cherry of some type. I know its not immature Black Cherry. I always called it pin cherry.
Perhaps Chokecherry? They don't get very big 3" to 4" diameter trunk is about max maybe 20' tall is big. Tend to grow in clumps.

Took a walk at lunch today and took the camera with.
Last two pics are looking down Lake Michigan shoreline, and looking inside the breakwall on the Manistique River entrance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID please
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 01:42:36 pm »
The tree and leaves look like sarvis(Amelanchier sp) but I haven't seen the flowers that big. Could be
 A. sanguinea(roundleaf juneberry, shore shadbush). This tree grows from west of the Great Lakes to New England and down into Tenn and NC.    Pat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:55:14 pm »
I looked up June berry it could be it These things grow all over up here, seems that they like the sun find em
on the edges and open areas. June berry good eatin?

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 02:05:21 pm »
      Looks like serviceberry to me.I think its( Amelanchier arborea) . Also called shadbush in some areas by coast.In laws lived in north by Onondaga Lake, used to see it all the time when we used to visit in spring....bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 02:07:13 pm »
 Yessir berries are delicious, can eat them raw right by tree or make jam like my mother-in-law used to...bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 02:45:07 pm »
Heres a good link for June berry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serviceberry

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:15:59 pm »
The berries are very much like blue berries. The problem is that with the trees growing taller than a man it's hard to beat the birds to the berries.  Makes good bow wood also. Don (OldBow) built a service berry bow a few years ago with the western variety. The eastern variety I sent him blew up I believe.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:06:09 pm »
Seems like the birds sit on the branches and wait for the berrys to ripen. We hardly ever get any off the tree in Dad's yard.  >:(

Ralph

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:06:12 am »
              Get about 4 rubber snakes at a pet store etc. Drape snakes over top limbs around tree. Birds wont go near tree. Ole' NDN trick was to use skins from dead snakes they found stuffed with grass and draped on tree. Works ;D.........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 10:12:52 am »
Thanks guys I'm gonna keep an eye on the trees by work and see if I can get some berries.

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 11:27:57 am »
Dana, Don't discount the wood for bows and shoots for arrows.   Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 11:29:22 am »
Gonna take a walk at lunch today and see if I can find something straight.

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 11:53:14 am »
Do like Bob said. The farm supply stores usually sell a plastic horned owl about 15" tall. They work great to keep the birds away from several trees at a time.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline billmac

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 03:57:25 pm »
Definitely Serviceberry.  Good luck finding a straight stave.  ???

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 04:19:39 pm »
Definitely Serviceberry.  Good luck finding a straight stave.  ???
Who wants stright.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah