Author Topic: coconut bow---chrono update  (Read 12439 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: coconut bow
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 04:43:27 am »
Well done!
Never heard of that combo being used.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 06:44:56 am »
Good looking bow,very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 07:15:58 am »
Thanks very much for the appreciation everyone. ;D

Mullet, I went to a wood yard looking for ipe and I saw coconut boards, they looked very dense and interesting and half the price of ipe so I got one, came from indonesia where apparently they use it for everything like we would use( or use to) use oak, they cut down the trees every 70 years when they stop producing coconuts, so a good renewable resource, so the man told me, buts its not catching on over here and he cant sell it, must be plentyfull in Florida. The hardest best wood is from the outside of the tree and it gets softer towards the middle. Much more friendly dust than ipe!!!

Rich, yes they are some nice steel bodkins made here in the Uk, I can get you some if you want, same price as the field points but cooler( I think)

Keenan, I'll will keep you posted,its shot a few hundred arrows and hasnt changed, but you never know, if you dont here anything then its stable, fingeres crossed
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 08:16:46 am »
very nice bow , interesting colors

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 08:24:41 am »
I love the figuring in the Coconut...beautiful work and beautiful bow!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:07 am »
Now that bow sparks my interest.  There are so many varieties of palm growing in my area - South Florida.  Shoot, I've got coconut palms growing on every street of my neighborhood.  Hmmmm.

A very fine bow, one that I surely appreciate.  I may have to start hunting for some of the wood.  I've seen plenty of those trees removed by tree services over the years...

Well done, Dave!
1’—>1’

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:14 am »
That's AWESOME!!! Nice work Dave. I've never seen coconut wood before, makes a beautiful bow!
Rockford, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »
 Thanks, I'm going to see if I can locate some here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 02:00:25 pm »
Very nice looking and very interesting material.Thanks for showing it.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »
thanks very much I appeciate the compliments, I estimate the S.G. must be close to 1.0, it is pretty dense, but it is dense darker fibres in a matrix of softer lighter colored material, the denser the more of the dark fibres and the darker it looks overall, many of the boards for sale where considerably lighter
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline RyanY

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »
Very cool. Did you feel that there was any risk of compression fractures because of the texture of the material and do you think it could make a selfbow? Thanks for sharing. Always good to see new materials being used.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 07:11:46 pm »
Now that is sharp!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline NTD

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »
Very nice bow.  That combo is just gorgeous!
Nate Danforth

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 01:09:42 pm »
Ryoon, the wood felt very dense and heavy so I wasnt too worried. also I used less than 1/8 of boo. Did  some bend tests first and not sure it will make a self bow, tended to explode dangerously before it took set, hope that helps

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: coconut bow---chrono update
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 04:21:29 pm »
just chrono'd this bow, for anyone whose interested. Was a little dissapointed, although I've never been good at shooting through chronos, others always shoot the same bows faster than me. Anyway fastest I could get was an average of 150-150fps, not as fast as I'd hoped