Author Topic: Anybody else use tinfoil?  (Read 2234 times)

Grunt

Anybody else use tinfoil?
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:34:52 pm »
I have been using a sheet of tinfoil on my forms when bending with dry heat. The tinfoil seems to reflect the heat back into the bow. I'm going to try wrapping a hot steamed limb with tinfoil before going to the form to see if it allows me a little more time. Anybody else use this technique?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Anybody else use tinfoil?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »
Not yet! ;D
I had thought of covering the cull with foil when I tried the head bending. More to protect the cull than any other benefit.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:56:44 pm »
never ried that
i would think the tinfoil would reflect too much heat back towards the bows back
jmho
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:15:36 am »
I've had that happen, Tim. Didn't know until I removed the bow from the form and the back was scorched.  I use foil sometimes when bending thick wood. I'll heat the wood well, wrap it in foil for a few minutes then unwrap and heat again. The foil holde the first heating allowing the heat to sink in deeper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:50:25 am »
Never used foil when using dry heat to bend but when I steam tips I use a big Turky fryer and cover it with foil. When it's done steaming I just lift the bow up and wrap the foil around till I get it to my form. Seems to keep a litle more heat in.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)