Author Topic: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!  (Read 21169 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2011, 11:33:23 pm »
No problem, Cracker.  Just send me the dog.

I'll take pictures and get them posted for you.  Then when he's done finding arrows I'll send him back.  Really.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cracker

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2011, 11:53:30 pm »
Gee JW what a pal now you go on out and stand by the mail box until the package shows up. ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 12:20:47 am »
 :o

Offline cracker

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »
The arrow dog.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
Some days she is best friend,,,,,,,,,,,,otherdays she is like Marley and chews up (everything)  The electric razor was the last victum. ::)

Her and the old man playing king of the puddle.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »
Nice pair of aces, Keenan.  I got a real soft spot in my heart for the shepherd breeds.

Offline jasestrong

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »
Here is Bunny! She is a Shih Tzu who goes on all of trips to the Archery range and the woods. I have had big dogs all my life, labs and Akita's, but bunny is my first little dog and she is awsome!
Jason

Offline Loki

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »
Some beautiful storys and dogs in this thread.

Sookie the Pit/greyhound. Coolest dog I've ever been around. Too bad she's fixed, I'd love to mate her with a brindle mountain cur like Pappy's.
My older son, Mike is mildly autistic and was completely terrified of any animal and many social situations - she's been an absolute godsend, and instrumental in his amazing turnaround. He wouldn't speak to or make eye contact with most people, but having a dog to brag on in slowly helped turn him into a confident chatterbox.

In Britain we call those dogs Lurchers,they make great house pets but really excell at the hunt.
A lurcher is a type of dog not an official breed (kennel club hate them) one parent must be a sight hound and the other can be anything you like it depends on what your quarry is.The sighthounds used are Greyhound,Saluki,Deerhound and Whippet.The other breeds usually used are Bullterriers,Border collie,bearded collie and Bedlington terriers but any of the  pastoral and terrier breeds can be used.
Your dog would be called a bull lurcher, he would be used for chasing down Deer and killing foxes (when it was still legal).The collie lurchers are my favourite, they are used to catch hares but they can bring down Roe Deer if need be.They have incredible prey drive and the stamina and intelligence of the collie added to the speed of the greyhound makes for a real handful on the hunt.Bedlington Lurchers have a long course coat which some hunters prefer because of the environment they hunt in.
The point of the Lurchers is you can get a dog to suit your specific needs,pedigree dogs are great at what they do but they're not as adaptable as cross breeds.
Bull Lurcher

Collie Lurcher

Bedlington Lurcher

The combinations are endless :).
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1W1ACAW_enGB413GB413&=&q=lurcher+dogs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=505
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:03:46 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »
If I remember right, lurchers long ago were commonly used by poachers and especially valued for running game silently. 

While I am and will not be a poacher, my old Scully ran silent.  Saving her breath for running down rabbits.  Pity she always let them go to run them some more!  I miss her deeply.

Offline cracker

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 06:27:39 pm »
JW I can relate I had a mastiff black lab mix big tall strong fast and smart. He was like loosing a good right arm. Hunting buddy and home defender extrordinaire.Ron

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:11 pm »
First they are little and then they become bigger and bigger and bigger.....

On the first pics you see little "Rose" and on the last pic you see her aunt "Chumash" (we call her "Möhrchen" - that means "little carrot" 'cause she was red coloured). Möhrchen is a very good arrow dog :)

Offline chigger

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:03 am »
   Here is my pride and joy  "  Indian River Little Pete"  ,Omcba World Champion ,youngest world champion ever, beat out reigning World Grand Champion for title

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:16 am »
Well our last foster dog ended up as part of the family, and I said back then that two was enough and we wouldn't be fostering any more, but my fiance had to show me a picture this morning of this pup that came to the rescue group, and they were in desperate need of foster homes, so me putting my foot down didn't turn out so well...

We figure she's about 3 months old, a mix of chocolate lab and something else with pointy ears :)  I just figured some of you guys would like to see a few pictures.  It was damn-near impossible to get a good picture of her that was in focus, because she can't sit still long enough, so these are the best I could do for tonight.

Who could say no to this face?  I don't think it will take long for us to find a home for this one!

Bailey, being her usual submissive self, let the pup steal her bone :)

Here's the whole crew.  Sienna (on the right) was our last foster dog, but now she's one of the family

Offline cracker

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 09:36:39 am »
Hey Cam they seem to have a way for musceling they're way into you're heart don't they?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 11:02:28 am »
My daughter has a retired search and rescue dog that has been for several years her partner in hunting and helping lost souls.  Some they found dead, some they found injured, and some they saved.  Kona is now in poor physical shape and I know that when he goes it will be a bad time in my daughter's life.  He could sniff out underwater bodies, cadavers, and trail lost people on very cold trails.  They did not always have success, and the miles they searched are now a memory.  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight