Author Topic: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!  (Read 21167 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2011, 02:42:29 am »
Hey guys,

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing some pictures of our latest foster dog, Sienna.  We've had her for about 3 weeks now.  She's a border collie mix.  When I first got her home, I put her through what I call the 3 "S"s - a s#!t, a shave (or brushing), and a shower.  That was all it took to bond with her, and she's been my shadow ever since.  I think she's just grateful for losing all this extra hair.  This is what came off her after about 10 minutes of brushing:

My girlfriend was home with her alone today for the first time, and she emailed me this picture at work.  She said the moment I left, Sienna went and laid down at the front door and waited there all morning for me to come home for lunch.

I hadn't planned on committing to owning a second dog, but we just had an application from a couple to come see her and possibly adopt her, and that really got me thinking.  She is so well behaved and gets along with our lab Bailey so well...  we're going to think about it over the weekend, but my gut is telling me this one's a keeper, and that it's meant to be.  The only issue is that we probably won't be fostering dogs anymore if we adopt her - I think two is about all we could handle.

Here's a few more pictures of her:

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2011, 02:46:12 am »
Yep....She's a Keeper alright!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »
I just picked up my Scully's ashes the other day and it was all I could do to look at those photos without losing it, Cam. 

Fostering takes very special people.  If you chose to keep this dog, she's the luckiest dog in the world.  If you find the right family for her, she's still lucky but other dog's get their chance at redemption, too.  I can see why you are deeply conflicted about her.  Her smiling face could melt stone.  I don't envy the decision your family has to make. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2011, 04:28:28 pm »
This is my dog duke (my best friend as well 100 percent loyal all the time) found him as a wild pup while out hunting on our lease his mother was with him.  we took him home and another fella we hunted with took his mom home.  we were down there for 2 weeks on that trip and he feed on deer harts and livers the whole time.  Pewww weeee the ride home was smelly lol.  I was 15 then and he has been the best tracking dog I have ever seen and we never trained him.  he has been there with me on all my hunts helped when needed and has been the first one other than my step dad to see my harvests.  many great bucks and does and great memory's with him.  He is now 11 years old and slowing down a bit but can still track a deer like he was young and full of energy.  he just never gives up.  he will still play in the yard as if he were just a pup but only for a little while.  not sure who gets more tired first though me or him lol.  I hope he has a good many years left in him dont know what I will do without him and could never replace him.  Its funny how people who like to hunt and eat animals can also be so attached to one as well.  He is great with my son who is 6 months old now, he is very gently yet playfull, lets my son tug his hair and crawl on him without the slights sign of aggravation.  this is just one of many pictures I have with him most are in my younger days when I was still shooting wheelies and they are in the pics so I will refrain from posting them  :o  any way I like this thread and wanted to add to it so here is our story.

thanks   

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2011, 04:32:52 pm »
I wonder who got the better end of the deal...you or the dog?  Sounds like you both got what you needed  out of the deal, great bargain!

Offline SA

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2011, 07:21:52 pm »
these are my two boxers roxy and laila(ali)  :) i really like this bread alot , tons of character.

they have two pillows but insist on sharing.... ::) :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:32:32 pm by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2011, 03:29:11 am »
Our dog is a pound rescued black and tan coonhound with some black lab mix.  Not the brightest thing on four legs, but very loveable, incredibly tolerable of kids pouncing on him, super lazy, and quiet unless you work hard to get him riled up and howling.  He knows his boundaries and stays in the yard, only needing to wear his shock collar every once in a while as a reminder.  (Lots of dog walkers in our area and he wants to be friendly and overstep the curb to greet them sometimes.)  I knew we had a good one when my youngest son was teething and I heard wimpering coming from the kitchen.  I ran out and found my kiddo biting on his ear as hard as he could, with his jaw quivering.  The dog stayed seated and took it like a trooper, just wimpering.  Didn't snap, growl, woof, or even try to pull away.   I'm not the biggest one to want to keep an animal, but at the same time I couldn't ask for a better family dog.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:32:16 am by Alpinbogen »

Offline cracker

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2011, 11:51:11 am »
OK guys I've held of on telling this story cause you guys will think I'm making it up but I've got this brindle female mixed bulldog who finds lost arrows. To start with I'm not the best shot and occasionally miss the target completely and the arrow most ofter embeds itself under the grass with only the tip or a bit of the fletching showing very hard to see. So I'm Dion the barefoot feeling around with my feet for the arrow thing and I notice the dog is sitting in one spot staring at me and wagging her tail, so I go over and check her out and she is sitting beside my missing arrow which is embedded under the grass. This dog is stick crazy so I throw the stick a few times as a reward now if I'm looking for arrows she's helping she doesn't find them all but she's probably found a dozen or so over the 4 or 5 years that have passed since she picked up the first one. Can't blame you for not believing this one but thats my story and I'm sticking to it.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2011, 06:44:22 pm »
Cracker, I am not surprised at all.  That's one of the basic excercises that they use to get one of the "legs" in an AKC show dog competitions.  Not exactly, but what they do is have you handle a particular dog training retrieval dummy and then toss it out with a bunch of others.  Your dog is then brought in and has to retrieve the correct one sight unseen.  You're just a bit more adept at "hiding" them is all!!!

All your dog did was put one and one together.  "Man throws sticks, picks up his stick, throws again.  Lemme help!"

That dog of yours is a keeper!

Offline cracker

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »
Yes JW she's a good one I wouldn't trade her for anything. Now if I can just teach her to pour my beer into a frozen mug and bring it to me.Ron

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2011, 06:53:54 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Cracker.  I was just gonna offer you a hackberry stave for her.  She'd repay the airfare just retrieving all the arrows on the hill behind my house. 

Offline cracker

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2011, 08:03:20 pm »
JW she just about pays her vet bills in arrows found. 10 dollar arrow times 12 so far and more to come I'm sure plus companionship entertainment guard dog duty sounding the alarm when someone drives up etc etc. Yea she's a keeper.Ron

Offline Postman

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »
What a great idea - need to try training mine to do that - lets see a pic of your brindle!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline cracker

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2011, 02:54:02 pm »
I'll try to get one posted over the weekend.Ron

Offline cracker

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2011, 11:01:16 pm »
Fellows I would really like to post some pics of the dog but I have the pics all the way down to 300x400 and it still says the file is too big I have lost patience with it. Ronnie