Author Topic: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!  (Read 21164 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tribute to man's best friend - Post your dog stories and pictures!
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 08:13:28 pm »
a friend has this posted on her facebook account:

"Gentlemen of the jury, the best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son and daughter that he has reared with loving care may become ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him when he may need it most. Man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees and do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our head.

...The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his DOG. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground,where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast into the cold, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard him against danger, and to fight against his enemies. When the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws and his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

-Senator George Vest, 1870."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 08:30:48 am »
Here is my 2 girls,great dog,just like family to me. :) Hannah,the lab will be 8 Christmas and Sadie,Mountain Cure will be 4 this spring,they play like this all the time and are great around people.
Come when I call and never out of hearing distance,can't ask for more for me. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:10 am »
Looks like those two knuckleheads have never grown up!  I like 'em already.

Met a 12 wk old german shepherd cross pup at the dog park today and got my face well washed.  Reminded me all over again what the best part of puppy-breath is....it comes with a puppy!

Offline Postman

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 01:05:00 am »
Sookie the Pit/greyhound. Coolest dog I've ever been around. Too bad she's fixed, I'd love to mate her with a brindle mountain cur like Pappy's.
My older son, Mike is mildly autistic and was completely terrified of any animal and many social situations - she's been an absolute godsend, and instrumental in his amazing turnaround. He wouldn't speak to or make eye contact with most people, but having a dog to brag on in slowly helped turn him into a confident chatterbox.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:08 am »
I thought Postmen didn't like dogs!?!?!

Sookie looks embarrassed in the pic with the boys, but I've been around dogs enough to know that look showis how she is in her pack and pleased.  When I saw the third pic of her stacked up on that rock I knew there were no worries about someone messing with those boys while she's around.

Offline Postman

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 01:34:10 am »
JW - hahahaha...great line!. postman in name only. My grandpa was Salvatore Pustararo and they said "whatever,  you're  now Sam Poster - NEXT!"
I've only ever seen her bark loud and "mean it" once - we chased a black bear away from the house one day (Ok she chased it, I chased her... ::)) my neighbor bagged it  a few weeks later,  it went 350 dressed. But she won't harm a fly otherwise. We want to do the therapy dog test ( my wife's a nurse, and her hospital has them come in) this summer, she should be OK with the tests I've read about.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:46:54 am by Postman »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 07:51:03 am »
Very cool dog Postman,Sadie hasn't been fixed yet,just looking for the right Man. ;) :) :) I will say one thing,I don't know that all Mountain cures are like her,but for a hound she is as sweet as they come,loves to please and loves people. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 09:43:32 am »
That's right Pappy she will crawl up in you're lap to be babied too. Great dog.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »
Lacy, my friend.  She's 16 months old now.

Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »
Sure am glad Bonnie Sue don't read here she might get on me for posting a picture of her sleeping with dog on the couch. ::)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:12 pm »
Aw, that is a cute Snot-rieler.  I knew a guy that had to get one for his wife.  She named the puppy Julie...but when the pup grew up it morphed into Droolie!  The more I know this breed the more I like them.

Offline NTD

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:26 am »
That's a good looking Rottie!  She looks nicely built but not overdone ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 03:31:31 pm »
Thanks NTD, she's a good dog.  She still likes eating the kids socks for some reason.   ;D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »
Rottie's are wonderful dogs.  Been lucky enough to know 2 - a male which is still in the family and the female we lost a couple years back.  Excellent with children.  It always amazes me when people think they would hurt the kids.  The male has been nothing but gentle with our 2 new puppies.  They are very good dogs.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »
sox are cheaper than couches

be thankful