Author Topic: eddies new bow-Thumb Ring Pictures Added  (Read 21789 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: eddies new bow-Thumb Ring Pictures Added
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 11:31:38 pm »
 Bill, never tried.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JBL

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 11:54:32 pm »
You can shoot a longbow with a thumb ring no problem-as long as the bow does not have a shelf.  Many people say you can shoot the thumb ring with a left handed bow with a shelf but I can tell you it does not work well nor is it even good to practice that way.  The hand position in relation to  the arrow is such an important part of the shot and the shelf does not allow for proper hand placement.

Ed have you noticed a big increase in performance in the composite bow compared to a glass bow?  I was also wondering if you had to "balance" the limbs after each stringing?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:59:16 pm by JBL »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:22 pm »
Eddie, that bow fits you like a glove!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2011, 12:27:19 am »
Eddie that is a cool bow. I would imagine it would work well in a turkey blind. Talk about ambush bow!  The bend in that thing is rediculase.
 Forgive my ignorance but what relation to James are you? He is obviuosly a very talented bowyer.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline 1776J

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:57 am »
Wow Eddie,.. this really is a beautiful bow!  I kept looking at your "endless thumb ring" photos!  hahaha  :D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:59 am »
 JBL, yes you have to balance the limbs, line the tips up. That's why I had to drive up and get it so James could show me how to do it without blowing the bow up. It is starting to develope a memory now. I've been shooting it everyday and leaving it strung. As far as performance it is equal or better than some of my Glass bows.

sidewinder, if we are related, it is pretty distant. The better looking Branch moved to Florida from N.C. in the early 1800's. But then again my Grandson was calling him Uncle James. ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline trad_in_cali

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:13 am »
Thank you for the string-to-nock-to-hand photos. You are right, even on an informative site like Korean Archery they are tiny. I've been looking on the web and most miss that detail or are so small you can't make out the positioning. Oh, and that serpentine bow is gorgeous....

Very useful, thank you.
Marco

Offline Keenan

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 11:49:18 am »
 Man that bow is incredible! :o :o  Is that one of those Tiffany rings that I've heard about?  :D :D :D

Offline wildwills

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »
You can shoot a longbow with a thumb ring no problem-as long as the bow does not have a shelf.  Many people say you can shoot the thumb ring with a left handed bow with a shelf but I can tell you it does not work well nor is it even good to practice that way.  The hand position in relation to  the arrow is such an important part of the shot and the shelf does not allow for proper hand placement.

That's odd because I made a leather grip for my Samick SKB 50 and incorporated a small shelf into my handle wrap.  My arrow cast and accuracy out to 30 yards so far, has not been affected at all.  Maybe I'm unconscoulsy concentrating more on a clean relese with my thumbring and thereby not having my accruacy and cast affected by having a shelf?
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline JBL

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:22 pm »
Keenan-the small shelf on the SKB 50, or other Korean bows is so small it is likie shooting off the hand anyway.  What I should have said in my post is the pistol grip/shelf combo does not allow for the right hand placement and follow through.

Ed thanks for the info on the alignment.  I am selling off some of my "Western" archery equipment so I can get a composite and like many including yourself I worry about balance and alignmenet so a BIG investment doesn't become a wreck.  Once the bow develops memory will it still need to be balanced at every bracing?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 02:31:30 pm »
 James said it shouldn't unless there are large swings in humidity, or heat. Also If it is left unstrung for a long period of time it will start to curl back up. Then it will take a great deal of time to "train" or get it to unfold so you can string it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
 :o ;D ::)

that is freekin awesome.. i want one of those..!!! who's selling them?  >:D
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:24 pm »
 Go to Classifieds and click on Huntworthy Productions.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline half eye

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »
Mullet,
      In your thumbring pics that dont look like the same bow as the first one. The second one looks like glass....but couldn't find a description of the first one. What did James make that one from? Looks real nice ...any chance of gettin some close up shots of it please? It is obvious that he got the right wood,horn and sinew combo for it, by it's full draw profile, which is gorgeous.
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2011, 11:14:09 pm »
 Rich, I used the Glass bow because it had a small grip and the thumb ring placement would show up better. I'll move it if anyone is offended by it. It was, honestly just for the visual.

James said he took pictures building the bow and would send them to me. I'll post them if there is an interest in it. There are a lot of pictures he posted on the "Composite" thread he had going of the same bow.

Scott, tell me what you want to see and I'll take pictures. The bow has a bamboo core, and Popular Siyas to cut down on weight. Sinew back and horn belly. The bamboo James showed me was the hardest Boo I hve ever seen.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:19:10 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida