Author Topic: Shawnee style bow (not for bom) Wildmans 3 ready for the mail....  (Read 28747 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Shawnee style bow (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 09:23:36 pm »
Wildman,
      glad ya like it, probably send ya this one along with the new one......this one has too much set for me but I have to say that it has some serious speed and shoots hard anyways......so I dont want to cut it up for the fire. Will be gettin them to ya here shortly.
rich

Offline wildman

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »
Way to generous I got a extra for ya.If they shoot half as good as they look I'll be tickled
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »
May send ya a live cat for that deal ( you litter train) ;D >:D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 09:35:56 pm »
Thank ya kindly for the offer, but I was around one before.........think I'll pass  ;D
rich

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »
Outstanding bow..I would like to see more pictures of the original if there is a web link or something. The one you posted I would have to guess shows the belly of the bow and the back is not cut into the back grain, or is it? How's it linked to Tecumseh, I wonder. It is also interesting how much the nock ends resemble the eastern Cherokee bows.  Thanks for sharing the bow it has sparked my interest.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:28 pm »
Great looking bow Rich. Now I understand about the design you were telling me about. I think you could make a great looking, good shooter out of a toothpick ;) ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 12:05:35 am »
Nice looking bow my friend. Like those scallop bows hey ? Rich get a coat on your going to get sick. If you run out of snow let me know I have plenty extra.lol Denny

Offline half eye

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 09:34:49 am »
Thank you fellas again

NC - The bow is incise carved on the back, the belly is smooth. I'm sending the direct link to your email address cause I dont know how to post it on PA. Maybe you could also post it for everybody else? When ya call up the bow on the site, it has 10 different shots of it and some are of the back.....on the back there is writing in French indicating the Tecumseh connection. Also the man who founded the Museum (Mr. McCord) is the man who donated the bow and refferences the connection as well. Hope that will help ya out......

Also, because of some discussions on the site I've had before I've started collecting photo's of woodland bows that clearly show the split board bows I refferenced in the PA article on Ottawa Bows (split out wood like fully quartersawn lumber) Have four examples so far. I cant really tell on this bow but there are a couple of shots that look like it MIGHT be a board but I cant be sure so it's not included in the collection.....it might explain the carved back however.
rich

Offline ohma

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 10:53:17 am »
another fine job Rich, you really have a talent,let wild man stew awhile and just send that one my way. >:D
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 11:37:21 am »
nice to see you come out of retirement Rich, damn nice bow excellent work and a beautiful full draw ! what cha gonna build today ?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:57 pm »
Very cool looking bow halfeye. I have not studied that much on the various styles of NA bows but that one is sure unique looking. Its bows like this one tha treally make sites like this worthwhile. Most of us would never even get to see something like this without these forums that allow us to share our projects and techniques.  Once again great job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »
Inspirational, as always. I think this was the kick start I needed to get back out to the bow shop... problem lately has been weather. I don't have an enclosed shop, so as long as we are under these artic blast conditions, I'm not fighting the cold for any hobby, you know?

Good to be back on the boards,
Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 03:57:55 pm »

http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/viewobject.php?Lang=1&section=mylist&accessnumber=M435&imageID=302380&pageMulti=1

Half Eye, here's the link if it works, I'm not real knowledgeable about posting links and pics myself. I did search the website from the info on the picture you posted and found it last night. I think just searching "Musee McCord Museum" will locate the website, then type "bow" in the search window. Once I got to looking at the website I spent about two hours looking at all the other great stuff on there. Thanks again for posting the pic of the bow. I do not read French but I could make out something about "Chief" or "Chef" written on the back. The engravings are also awesome. The web site is stored in my favorites.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 11:54:02 am »
prosaffel,  thats what kitchens are for in the winter. You have to hog tie tje wife and if you have wood or linoleum floors ,the shavings clean up real good, lol.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 03:59:36 pm »
"prosaffel,  thats what kitchens are for in the winter. You have to hog tie tje wife and if you have wood or linoleum floors ,the shavings clean up real good, lol.   Danny"

Ha, I second that,  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair