Author Topic: Handle wrap?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline DV IN MN

Handle wrap?
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:09:05 am »

I was thinking about the beaver tail wrap and just kind of wondered if anyone ever use snapping turtle skin, and how it turned out? I would think the back legs of a 20lb would be big enough and should work. I was thinking of using the shell then as tip overlays. Just a thought. Plus if you don't clean the skin real good and keep the smell on the skin then it would work as cover sent also. Plus one can get some good soup from them stinking &^%*.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Handle wrap?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:08:52 am »
Never used one ,but have seen one and it was cool,I think the one I seen the guy used the
neck. Felt really good in the hand.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:49:14 am »
Sounds like a great idea. I have never seen one. I have a friend that collects alot of snappers in the spring. Gonna have him save me some skin because you got me interested now. I bet it would look cool as a wrap or even laced up. I wonder if you would treat it like snake skin or maybe preserve it with borax???

Btw...turtle is good food

Jon

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:10:10 am »
Different comment but I have seen broadheads made from the shell.  I guess what would be the considered the ribs.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
Seems like I read somewhere that turtle neck skin was used for hamdle coverings or limb coverings in ancient times.  Safely obtaining it could be a ordeal.  ;D
  I had to swerve to avoid a snapping turtle last spring that would have flipped my car had I hit it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
DV,
      Cant say about a handle wrap, but some of the Michigan Ottawa (Little River Odawa) have told me that snapping turtle neck skin was used for a premium bow string. Used it cause it held up to the wet and cold real well, and was really tough.
      Dont see why it wouldn't make a great grip wrap.
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:58:51 am »
Rich, that is what I heard. I knew it had something to do with archery!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »
I've seen chicken leg leather and ostrich leg leather.....I'm sure it will work  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:01:32 pm »
you can soak it in a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and glycerine, tans snakeskin real good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:38:47 pm »
Safely obtaining it could be a ordeal.  ;D

You got that right, they're ornery buggers.  I've cleaned exactly 2 in my life and I'll never do it again.  Cleaning a snapping turtle is the most gory thing ever.   People who clean them regularly have my respect, that's for sure.  They are tasty, but too much work for me.  Jon, if you can get snapper skin and somebody else is doing the work you are in like Flynn, believe me.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:28:27 pm »
I think if I peel the neck like a sock if it is re hydrated and put on the handle it might shrink nice and tight and make a good handle. If I actually do this I think I will name the bow "stink" after the smell of them.     

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 08:05:31 pm »
Stink, I like that a lot. ;D ;D  I'm trying to remember how hard the neck was to skin, it's been awhile.  Nothing was easy, that I do recall.  My grandpa usually cleaned them, but I did a couple when I got older.   We always tossed them in a stock tank for a few days to let the mud get out of their system. That helped with the smell too.  Good luck, it'd be a real distinctive wrap, that's for sure. Take some pictures if you do it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:18:55 am »
   I've used beaver tail a few times. I've eaten a few but never use it for handles that be different. They do have really thick skin. I once backed a bow out of the shell scales.  Give it a try
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:58 am »
I've heard of someone using the skin from the tail and putting it down the back of the limbs on a bow.  Thick part at the handle tapering down with the tip of the tail about midlimb.  It sounded pretty cool.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »
I got about twelve beaver skins to tend to and ran across this thread doing a search. Guess I'll have to get my turtle trap back out. LOL Not to bad a skinning if you know the tricks. you can blow it off with an air hose or a water hose. Just cut a slit in a leg and get your tip in there and pop it off.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway