Author Topic: woodland archery / rudder bows  (Read 54194 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: woodland archery / rudder bows
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:29 am »
...i e-mailed jeremy bays the owner  and asked him why it didnt look like the one we thought we were getting that we paid $150.00 for, ...

150 is a lot of $ for some slats of wood, no matter what stile they are cut to, right!?
I personally had the best of experience with Torges; several guys here on PA sell glue ups, too, and bows made from those blanks have been front runners in BOM contests, and with good reason.

PS: does anyone know Mr. Jeremy Bays personally? Or is that another aka for Jim Boswell ?? - Just curious...
Frank from Germany...

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:27 am »
wow. there seems to be a lot of people that feel they got ripped off by him. since there isnt just a isolated instance, and there has been no attempt by him to make it right, then he has shoddy business practices. I feel that with all the discontent that maybe he shouldnt be allowed  to advertise in PA. kind of casts a bad shadow on the magazine. IMO.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:45:19 pm »
wow. there seems to be a lot of people that feel they got ripped off by him. since there isnt just a isolated instance, and there has been no attempt by him to make it right, then he has shoddy business practices. I feel that with all the discontent that maybe he shouldnt be allowed  to advertise in PA. kind of casts a bad shadow on the magazine. IMO.

Not a bad suggestion,...
It actually casts a bad shadow over the entire hobby and turns people off to the whole sport and hobby as well.
I know I nearly said to heck with it until some of the extremely stand up fellows on here went the distance and showed me that Boswell is the odd ball rather than the norm of what to expect.

Anyone pulling these kinds of stunts need to be ousted if they are going to do things like this to people.  There's just no reason to treat others poorly for no reason except personal issues no matter who you deal with.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »
nobody seems to like Jim and his Rudderbows but I would like to say that Jim was actualy very friendly and helpful with me........
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »
I've said in the past, and will again now, that I have nothing good to say about Jim & Rudderbows. His work and products leave a lot to be desired, and he has even spent time harrassing me via personal email. It sounds to me like lots of others have learned about him the hard way, like I did. His shoddy work ends up being your fault, and he has no desire to stand behind his work, or make things right. I am disappointed that PA mag lets him advertise, I wish they'd stop.

brian melton

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:23:59 pm »
Such hostility...... :'( Not very Christian like..... O:)

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:29 pm »
Douglasb

When I first joined Pa I was asking for info on the penobscot.  Got a lot of good advice from many members. It is a nice bow, but a lot of things can go wrong with them.
But, if you want to try one, take the advice that
El Destructo gave me....Make a couple of reflexes put em together and make them get along.
Kinda like marriage, sometimes it aient so easy.
BTW El D does have a nice pic of one that he made. Maybe he will post it for you.

Good luck
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:35 pm »
maybe if ya used his bows as paddles instead of rudders they would be better !! >:D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 11:52:48 pm »
Douglasb

El Destructo gave me....Make a couple of reflexes put em together and make them get along.
Kinda like marriage, sometimes it aient so easy.
BTW El D does have a nice pic of one that he made. Maybe he will post it for you.

Good luck
Ron

you mean this one??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 1776J

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49:45 am »
Wow EL...
That looks great! :) :)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:42 am »
Well I am glad to hear all of this....now I know to stay away.  Thanks folks. ;)
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »
I'm really sad that so many people have had negative experiences with this person.  As a someone who myself sells primitive archery-related things, I can't imagine how he can stay in business if there are so many problems with his products.  I guess there are a lot of newcomers to traditional archery to take advantage of, so as long as he can make a living off them he can keep his business going...

brian melton

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

I hate to say this guys, especially those that want to share their opinion of Rudderbows good, or bad. I think just MAYBE it would be wise to express your opinions via personal messages rather than go after a company on a open forum. I understand the need /want to retaliate tward someone if you FEEL you were not treated fairly......I more than once have been guilty of that! O:) That being said Jim, like him (or his work) or not is a realitively large contributer to advertising to the magazine. I am even more suprised this thread has not been deleted for the interest of the magazine itself. Smearing a name, or a company is just not good practice to be in, especially if the magazine is itself allowing it.......again this may have slipped their attention, but the mods should be on this. If someone posts questions about any company (especially ones that pay money to this magizine) there is the PM to send your viewpoints, and enough of them one way or another will help the person in question decide their route of who to purchase from.....     My opinion.

Brian

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
But shouldn't PA have some standard for people who they permit to advertise on their website?  If someone has a history of ripping people off, should they continue to let this person advertise?  At what point the the magazine become culpable for the behavior of its advertisers when it knows of their less-than-ideal behavior?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:42 pm »
I don't think anyone wants to retalliate against him, they just want to prevent others from getting ripped off like they were.  PM's only let one person know, an open thread like this lets everyone know. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left