Author Topic: I can reduce finally so thank you all!  (Read 15343 times)

Online iowabow

Re: I can reduce finally so thank you all!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 07:30:33 pm »
Thanks that means a whole lot to me. I have been knapping everyday for 30 days my left arm is going to fall off the inside of the elbow hurts lol. Anyway I finally made my first arrowhead today! I mean from a large stone not a flake and reduced with the bopper and switched to the pressure flaker and drove long flakes for the the notch setup. You all sure have to do a lot of thinking to make even a junk arrowhead like mine. I like mine however because it is the first time I did it all!!!! So I am going to take the night off and have a celebration beer (I will lift it with the right arm). Just one question, does the Ishi stick make the pressure flaking easier? well I was going to show this other point but email is not working again.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »
You are doing very good. And thats what it takes, you have to want it and you have to stay with it so you build muscle memory.
 Yes a ishi stick helps if you use it right.
Mililani Hawaii

Online iowabow

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »
thanks for the help..here is the picture

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:05 pm »
 Wow!, You took a short cut across the Learning Curve. Those are some nice points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:49 am »
Oh man!
 Thats amazing for as long as you have been at it.
 Some people are just naturals.
Mililani Hawaii

Online iowabow

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48:04 am »
I really appreciate the input and comments it helps when I make the next point. The one thing that is amazing to me is that I did not know going into this how far ahead you all have  to plan in making your works of art. I look at the points you all make and it makes my head hurt lol. I have a small collection of arrowheads I borrowed form my neighbor and it is funny how I can now turn the stone around and see what he (native person) was thinking when making the point. I can also see their mistakes and why it might have happened. It is like seeing arrowheads with a new awareness. I can look at the arrowheads that I made last month and do the same. In a couple of weeks I am going to post arrowheads I made through the last few months because today I really have made only one. It is interesting also that the early arrowheads are the hardest because you have no idea what to do and they always break. If you are lucky you might get something that looks like a point. I remember hitting a stone in frustration hoping anything would happen. So thanks again for the support and always heading me in the right direction folks. Now I have to start thinking about how to do those notches better, When the flake broke the tool hit the sides and broke them. I have some interesting techniques that the natives used in making notches that I will photograph from the collection I have.