Author Topic: Paleolithic Model for Nutrition  (Read 5587 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Paleolithic Model for Nutrition
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:05 pm »
Modern diets are ill suited for our genetic composition. Our body's do not handle the advances in agriculture and food processing resulting in a plague of health problems for modern man. Coronary heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and psychological dysfunction have all been scientifically linked to a diet too high in refined or processed carbohydrate.
 What i take away from this is eat and live wild and be healthy.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Paleolithic Model for Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:09:54 pm »
A good book to read is "Eat Right for Your Blood Type". It talks how the original bloodtype was "O" when man was primarily meat eaters. When man started farming, "O" mutated to "A" bloodtype. As a result, "O" bloodtypes can basically dine on an orgy of meat and never have cholesterol or artery issues). An "A" bloodtype would drop dead at 40 with this diet and should eat much more vegetables...interesting reading for sure!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »
Lot of difference between wild meat and domestic meat, too. I think our bodies spent hundreds of thousands of years getting used to a diet of lots of lean red meat in the cooler months, fish in the warmer months, greens, nuts, and fruit in season; so the closer we stay to that, probably the healthier we are. With that said, I sure do like me some fat, greasy barbecued pig meat, though. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »
I think different groups quickly adapt to locally available fare. Most of us would have a hard time staying healthy on an Inuit diet of rich fatty sea mammals with no veggies to speak of. I wish I ate more like my southern Italian ancestors  - people nearby in sardinia are among the longest- lived, healthiest on earth. They eat a lot of leafy greens, fish, game and domestic animals in small amounts, most of the fat is olive oil, and molto vino rosso!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:47:07 am »
You are probably right Jesse,even tho I am not sure what they died of ,the life expectancy is a lot older now then it was years ago, You would be an old man in the stone age. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:10 am »
A topic I'm always interested in.  Don't think there is any arguement that processed foods are beneficial, that is, unless your STARVING!
Always wondered about that blood typing diet.  My father was O and struggled with cholesterol, so, I never quite got that.
I don't think anything will ever beat fresh unprocessed food, moderation, and a dose of exercise.  Now if I could just always afford fresh unprocessed food and enjoy beer a little less!  Ha!
1’—>1’

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »
Its is more expensive to buy healthy food.
But if you can fill a deep freezer in the fall and add some white meat in the spring and have a good garden its not to bad.
Mililani Hawaii

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »
Interesting topic you've raised Leapingbare. One of several books that I was fortunate to receive at Christmas was, The Vitamin D Cure written by Dr. James Dowd. My wife and I have adopted the diet (not calorie restricted incidentally, just have to eat the good stuff) on January first, and can report better sleep, increased energy, and a positive sense of well being. In addition we already have had to take the belts up a notch to tighten them around our waists. With Sun, supplementation, and dietary changes, we are believers that better health is an inevitable result of better diet.

Indeed it is more expensive to maintain the healthy produce, and lean meats that are recommended. We can hardly wait to start harvesting fresh produce from our Square Foot Garden (another awesome book by the way), and realize a savings on our grocery bill.

We can eat all of the good stuff we want. Fresh produce, and controlled amounts of lean meat protein, which wild game is highly recommended by Dr. Dowd. We have gone without pasta, bread, cereals both cold and hot, basically all grains, no added salt to any of our foods, soda, and only 100% fruit juices since the first. We had some awful cravings, but think we are over the hump. Good foods automatically correct the chronic acid base imbalance that has adverse effects on the long term health of the majority of Americans.

Interestingly Dr. Dowd recommends another book titled The Paleo Diet written by Dr. Loren Cordain, which we will no doubt obtain at some point in the near future.

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »
Interesting stuff, Lombard. Glad to hear you've found a natural way to get healthy!  Many anthropologists believe variations in human skin color resulted from a balancing act of getting enough UVB radiation to prouce Vit. D, without getting too much. Many individual's melanocytes can produce a bit more pigment by "tanning", of course. The Inuit are an exception to this, and are not as "washed out" as many historic northern European populations,  possibly due to high vitamin D in sea mammals. A recent article in Nat. Geographic showed evidence northern neanderthals were pale and may have had a red hair gene unrelated to the H. sapiens gene for red hair. (My granddad had red hair, as does my wife,  so no hatin' ... ;D)  Despite vitamin D milk, there seems to be a problem with Vitamin D levels in our American youth blamed on soda consumption and decreased outdoor activity.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 07:11:04 pm »
Abby and me eat very well i think, We will on a rear occasion indulge in a cheese burger from sonic or Hardy's or a huge serving of fried taters from the bow club. But 90% of what we eat is lean meat and veggies. I eat 3k-4k cals a day but its all good stuff.
 The red hair thing is weird, So here are two weird genetic things about my self, I have brown hair but if i grow my beard out its red, my moms dad was the same way. Also i have grown 3 inches in the last 2 years and i am 27 years old. This is from my dads side, most of the men from my dads side grow 5-6 inches and a shoe size from the age 26 to 28. Weird huh? :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:26:29 am »
Thats crazy to grow that much so old!  Never heard of that before.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:45:21 am »
i dont think thats so odd
i didnt reach my growth potential untill i as in my mid to late twenties also
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 11:45:32 am »
Margie Anne and I are both type "O"   We use olive oil and butter (Sneak a little bacon grease occasionally)  and really avoid white flour and sugar. Result : No viruses in the last seven years.   None ! We are in our fifties now and are not on any med's at all.  Lots of wild meat and fish,chicken,eggs and the freshest vegetables we can find (or grow) and plenty of them.  I learned that if you eat the wild things and grow your own vegi's in the soil of where you live, you will thrive in that place. Make the jams and jellies from the fruit you pick there. Forage on your hunt ,fish trips and on your walks in the country. The food of where you live keeps you safe from the health problems of your area. (Talking rural here. Big city dwelling excepted)
 No-one lives forever , but I think anyone can live up into the eighties without too much trouble if they don't eat processed (Cook it !), Give the micro-wave to the thrift store ,don't smoke and don't drink excessively. Get out in the air and do a little "sweat" work.    Just 2 pennies worth.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington