Author Topic: planning a hog and javelina hunt way in advance!  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

planning a hog and javelina hunt way in advance!
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:19:27 am »
Hi guys, me my brother and my buddy are starting to plan a hog and javelina hunt. We are pretty low income guys so we have to plan it two years from now. I know that sounds like a long way out but thats what we can do! Since we have so muc h time, i figure we should have plenty of opportunity to plan a good hunt. We are all trad hunters so wherever we go will have to cater to that. Also we would like to go somewhere without any fences. We want to hunt for five days with a very good chance of getting shot opportunities at both hogs and javelina. We were thinking somewher in south west texas would be best. Can any of you guys point us in the right direction? Any input is much appreciated!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: planning a hog and javelina hunt way in advance!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:51:56 am »
Check with Curtis Keller, 7th age outfitters.  He is a TradGang member so you can look him up there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:32:53 am »
Lee, I enjoy hog hunting so much that I jumped at the chance to relocate down here to Dallas.  Even so, from my house to the only place I've ever javelina hunted in the state (Lincoln Ranch near Laredo) is a 12 hour drive.  This is a big state!  Anyway, good luck on your quest.  Low fences and high game populations don't normally go together.  You probably won't see hogs in the quantities shown on TV with low fence.  It'll be more like deer hunting, but in 5 days you can expect to get a shot or 2 if you're good hunters.  Practice shooting in low and no light situations.  Javelina are daylight hunts and hogs are normally low light/night time hunts.  It is physically taxing to go after both on the same hunt because of the lack of sleep so rest up.  Odds of seeing snakes on that kind of hunt are decent depending on weather.  Everything has spines or thorns, bring good boots.  Hog/javelina vitals are further forward than deer and smaller.  PM me if you want to talk at length, I love to hog hunt. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:49:34 am »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:33:17 pm »
 I've only heard good things about Curtis Keller. Cade and I were going there a few years ago but he called and said the javelinas had moved out of the area. He was nice enough to save us a long trip.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?