Author Topic: japanese arra boo  (Read 4742 times)

JustinNC

japanese arra boo
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »
Any definitive, distinguishing characteristics? May have stumbled onto a pile of it.

Been a while since I posted, but I'm alive a kickin and itchin to break some rock, shave some wood, and wreak havoc on any unsuspecting small woodland creature :D

Offline aero86

Re: japanese arra boo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:22:17 pm »
if the pile seems to be too big, let me know, ill take some!  lol

i heard if the stems are dark green and the leaves are dark green, and its growing in the US is probably what your thinking it is.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:02:51 am »
pics!!! ...of the canes and the patch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:45:18 am »
One good identifying feature of Japanese arrow bamboo is that the leafy bit at each node stays attached wrapped around the stem wheras it usually falls off the node on other species. If it is smooth, nodes not lumpy, looks like arrows, dark green, grows in very big groups then it probably is and lucky you.

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:56 am »
pics!!! ...of the canes and the patch.

No way, I know how you NC boys are, ya'll will just pass it around until somebody recognizes where it's at!....

J/K.....if I get time this morning before I head out of the office, Ill upload the one pic I have of it. Not a very good one though.

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »
jackpot.....problem is I'm probably going to either have to cut them long because most are too big, and then trim out what I need.....or spend a looooooooooooooooot of time trying to find the right size in amongst boo thicket.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »
Don't be a wuss, dive in.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
Don't be a wuss, dive in.

I dont know if youve noticed or not, but I'm a little on the hmmmm shall we say....fluffy side............I dont exactly slide in amongst the boo like a ole rat snake would.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:46:16 am »
Get in there with a sharp machette and start whackin' 'em off at the bases. (Don't chop your legs!) Throw them in 3 piles. Potential arras, potential atlatl darts, and 'mater stakes. Sell or trade what you don't want. One man's trash....

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:48 am »
Thats what Jonathan was telling me to do....have to do that one day on lunch break.

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:45:48 am »
yes, make sure you get a lot of them!  i need some! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline forn man

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:42:02 am »
My father in law has a stand of Japanese arrow bamboo near his house in Baton Rouge.   I got a good tip from someone to use a 3/8" open-ended wrench to size each piece before cutting it.  I got lots of good pieces this way that were spined close enough to work as arrows.  You might try that when cutting it.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:58 am »
Use a 1/2" so they are long..  ;)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:36 am »
Here's my tutorial on Japanese Arrow Bamboo shafts. Some pics of the plant itself as well.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:18 am »
darksoul-thanks for that link.
headed out this am to cut some boo.
got my pruning shears and 3/8" wrench already to go!

wild women don't get the blues