Author Topic: Another New Guy  (Read 4276 times)

Offline wildkatt

Another New Guy
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:00 am »
O-kay this is how it all began. About a year ago My wife said something to me about trying Horse archery. Well i thought it might have some potential but as always life got in the way. about July of last year we decided to give it a try so she found a great Boyer in Oklahoma by the name of Eric Smith so i called him and we talked about bows. I had him make me a 50#  52 in. Buffalo sinew backed bow. Its a gull wing style plains Indian bow of museum Quality.So i started shooting it in August loved it so i had him make me one similar only this one is 70# with a rattlesnake back for weatherproofing.(figered gonna hunt with it). We stayed in touch and he invited me to come down and go pig hunting over Thanksgiving weekend with him and his family so i went.Been a hunter my whole life. Never been bow hunting. so i learned how to make arrows and made a bunch and went.Shot my first animal ever with a bow(what a rush lol).So while i was down there he started teaching me how to make bows the old way at hunting camp(im hooked). So when i had him make the heavier bow my intention was to take it elk hunting this year(wanted to make sure i could hit what i was aiming at).I was already set up to do my yearly Buffalo hunt and decided to take the bow and see if i could get a shot. Long story short 2 two year old Buffalo Bulls with 3 arrows and the second bull the arrow passed all the way thru.So now a have made bows for both of my granddaughters ages 6 and 3 and they love them. so now im planing on making me a new bow for this years hunts.So i will be on here probably asking lots of stupid questions.I have officially retired my hunting rifles and gone primitive.Will post pic of Buffalo when i figger out how.   
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Another New Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:53 am »
Welcome to PA Wildkatt. Sounds like you are well into the primitive thing. Looking forward to seeing your bows and helping you with your new project.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:23:36 pm »
Welcome Wildkatt, You will love this site, there are some incredible bowyers on here and you can learn anything you want about the world of primitive archery. Don't hesitate to ask,looking forward to the buffalo pics, that is a great accomplishment.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »
Welcome aboard,gald you found the site,you will like it here I am sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:25 pm »
Welcome Wildkatt, Glad to see another primitive hunter.
rich

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:35:15 pm »
Welcome Wildkatt,  being a new bowyer and a newer member, i can tell you there are many many experienced bowyers to happily help you along the way! :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:06:21 pm »
 Welcome !  Sounds like you are going to fit right into this outfit. Look forward to your pictures of the buffalo hunt. Next thing you know,you'll be knapping arrowheads for your hunting arrows.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »
Welcome aboard
Please be carefull as with any addiction one is no where near enough !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:19 pm »
howdy katt you live in oklahoma?
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:46 am »
No Actually i live about 40 miles east of Denver Colo. But if y-all want to see the Buffalo pic its on the front page of Eric's web site plainsindianbows.com. Im glad i found my way here lol this should be fun
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:51:44 am by Pat B »

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 12:48:28 am »
Welcome to the site hope to see your work! and your trophies
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:46:41 am »
Welcome Wildkatt, You will love this site, there are some incredible bowyers on here and you can learn anything you want about the world of primitive archery. Don't hesitate to ask,looking forward to the buffalo pics, that is a great accomplishment.

What he said ;D  And don't forget to get the PA magazine. A wealth of info in it too. ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:19 am »
Welcome wildkatt, looking forward to seeing your bows.
Rockford, MI

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:39 am »
As soon as i finish my bow building room(back porch) lol. My first big project is to try to build a Sinew backed Black walnut bow so any advice is always appreciated.Going to try to make one in a gullwing style like my other 2 gonna try for about 50 or 55 #.

Offline ohma

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »
welcome to you.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.