Author Topic: BB Oak  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Michael C.

BB Oak
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:48 am »
Found a good piece of white oak at one of the local lumber shops to turn into a bamboo backed board bow. I had been planning on trying a bamboo backed bow for some time and I think it turned out ok.
64" ntn 45# at 28" draw with a leather handle wrap and blood wood tips. My Dad pulls 26" but I figured he wouldn't mind me tillering it out to 28 in case I needed to shoot it sometime :) I has about .5" of reflex and 45# at 28" before shooting  and is flat and 40# after 3 hours of shooting cornstalk.

"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
Re: BB Oak
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:47:19 am »
That is neat,I like that. Anyway we could get a closer look at the nocks? I got a nock fetish ;D
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:52 am »
The bamboo looks really nice.  Did you heat treat the white oak?  Nice bow!
1’—>1’

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:30 am »
Sweet!
Genesis 27: 3

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:34 am »
Very nicely done, good looks and a killer profile. PS: the Zwickey deltas were a favorite of mine when I was buying broadheads. Damned fine set-up.
rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:49:52 pm »
Really like the way you dyed the bamboo backing on this one!  I too would love to see some more detail pics, looks like a very well-crafted/beautiful bow to me.  Got it bookmarked for January Backed BOM contest.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:08:06 pm »
Looks great Micheal!
Now that your a bamboo backed expert, you can help with the glue ups at OJAM this year. >:D
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:33:30 pm »
Thanks for the complements everyone and I'm happy to be in the contest Josh. The back is dyed using what I could remember from the tutorial Tim Ott wrote on his candy cane arrows in PA a few issues back. I don't know if I did it exactly like he does, but I do a lot of my backgrounds for my paintings the same way, so I winged it. I'll try and get a few more photos from my Dad. I was able to finagle a few more out of some of the others I took.

Yeah Rich those broadheads get wicked sharp fast and they are great for putting holes in things. I hope to be able to switch over to stone pretty quick.

Looks great Micheal!
Now that your a bamboo backed expert, you can help with the glue ups at OJAM this year. >:D

Hah, I don't know if I'm an expert yet John. My wife gave me a late Christmas present a week ago and it was one of David Knights blanks and I blushed a bit for feeling so proud about this one. I would be glad to help out this year at OJAM though.

"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:11:00 am »
Nice looking bow, congratulations on a fine hunting weapon.

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:48:37 am »
Nice bow!  I really like the dye job!
Nate Danforth

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:26:03 pm »
That is awesome! Great job!
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:13 pm »
That is one fabulous bow.  I don't know why but I am drawn to the Boo (and it's an internal struggle since Osage appears to the be the "Pure Path") but I'd love to see a how too on a boo lam build.  Anyway, it looks excellent.

Lee
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline tom S

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 12:02:21 am »
Very nicely done. Congrats on a job well done.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:27:44 pm »
Super cool!!! I've always had a thing for bamboo ;)
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 12:28:29 pm »
Super cool!!! I've always had a thing for bamboo ;)
Rockford, MI