Author Topic: Another Oak board bow :) my first  (Read 6664 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Another Oak board bow :) my first
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
here is my current project, not quite done yet, red oak board bow.  not sure of the poundage due to a severe lack of scale.  feels like it's right around 40 lbs. 66 tip to tip 64.5 ntn,  1.75 inches wide at the fades, half inch at the tips.  Jus got finished a semi-rough tiller, still some spots to fix. I am planning to add a maple backing strip about 3/16 thick to help raise the drawweight a little and hopefully add alittle reflex.  I am open to any and all criticism, constructive or otherwise :P  maybe the maple strip is too thick an might overpower the belly??  can reflex be induced when adding the backing strip or will it shear the glue line? hows the tiller so far, any stiff spots or hinges that i cant see?
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline bubby

Re: Another Oak board bow :) my first
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
looks good, I use stretch wrap, wrapping from the handle to tips, then wrap with strips cut from bike tire tubes, then you can put a block under the handle area, back of bow on block and then take some clamps and clamp the tips down and let it dry for two days, i use TB2 and works great, just don't go with to much reflex, ya might want to trap the backing just to be safe
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
i think the tiller looks pretty good. I think the middle third of each limb could bend a touch more and the bottom limb just out of the fade looks like a slight hinge?

Good job for a first try.
45# at 27"

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:10:31 pm »
Looks pretty good to me. enjoy.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:16:36 pm »
Looks like an excellent tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »
Native,
     Very nice, excellent profiles. With the lack of set, and symmetry at brace and full draw.....dont see anything wrong with your tiller at all. Also dont believe that the maple will overpower the oak, but if your at all worried then do like bubby said and trap/round over the backing. JMO
     Oh ya, go shoot that bugger!!!!
rich

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:42 pm »
Looks great!  Hopefully, adding the backing wont change the tiller.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:55:43 pm »
Very good job on tillering, unstrung shows very little set. Id leave this one be and build another. If not the maple should be fine.
Good job.
  Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everybody! I am still learning and it's all much appreciated.  I am going to try and rig up a way to judge the draw weight, if it seems low i will add the maple and retiller.  If its about 40+ ill just leave it and start on a new one  ;D  My lil sister has been asking for a bow for a while now and my confidence is growing with every stick i fail to break. :)

I have very little spare time until the weekend, I'll post a couple more pics sunday or early next week after i make some progress.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:10 pm »
Looks good to me. The 3/16 backing is goin to add quite a bit of weight.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:51:37 am »
Looks good to me especially if you plan on backing it,then you will probably have to tweak it a bit anyway.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:19 pm »
I forgot about my arrows.  This is one from the first real batch of arrows that i have made.  Exceptionally straight grained oak cut to 5/16,  rounded by hand with planer and sandpaper.  Home-made trade points ground and filed from a laaaarge (an inch wide) bandsaw blade, hafted with sinew and contact cement.  Glued on commercial feathers and self nocks with no reinforcing wrap.

As well, my draw is 28.5 inches. :)

Does anyone have a good recipe for making some pine pitch or natural alternative to contact cement???

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »
Looks pretty good for a first bow.  If you back it and have to adjust you tiller, I think you should maybe get that upper limb bending a bit more about 2/3 of the way from the handle.  Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks a bit stiff there.  I would just keep the last 8 - 10 inches stiff.

Do you have any close-up pictures of the tips, from the side and from the front? You might be able to take some more meat off to lighten them up a bit yet without them bending, to improve performance a bit.

Or you could just leave it as is :)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:40:29 pm »
Its looking good to me too. Heck unless you jsut want to back that sucker I would say your there.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:09:21 pm »
A great first bow.  Tiller looks very good.  Way to go!  As far as pine pitch - it's been kicked around some, if you do a search for it I'm sure some of the threads will pop up for you to read. 

Great work!
1’—>1’