Author Topic: Need advice on how to make a nice leather grip  (Read 11058 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Need advice on how to make a nice leather grip
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:46:03 am »
I have noticed some really really nice leather grips on here. My finish work is getting alot better but it seems i always struggle when it comes to the grip. I want to learn how to make the fancy grips that are top notch. Are there any books or internet sites? If anyone can help me out..please do

Thank You

Jon

Offline rwaterman00

Re: Need advice on how to make a nice leather grip
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:28 am »
well  i dont know about books etc. but 2 bows ago i made a grip that i really like.
i used some deerskin and stitched it with sinew. used knox tween the wood and the leather i can post tomarro.
the method i use is to tape over the handle with masking tape smooth it out and take a razor blade sliting it up the middle belly side. now you can peel the tape off and you have a pattern for the leather. it works real sweet. i cut the leather just about 1/8 inch smaller then the pattern so it gets real tight and stitch it up like a shoe string with the sinew or artificial sinew would work fine.
thats my 2 cents

Offline rwaterman00

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:30:50 am »
sorry the pic isnt big enough to see.
anyway thats what i like to do
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:34:49 am by rwaterman00 »

Offline wodpow

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:00:05 am »
I measure my leather dry about 1/2 less around the handle and use a rule and mark the edge every 1/8 inch with a ink pen about 1/8 in and do the same to the other side just the same so the marks match both sides and take a wire brad clamp it in a pair of Vise grips and lay the leather on a phone book and push and twist the nail and make holes at the marks when done wet the hide and lay it to the handle with the area your going to stitch centered down the back of the handle I use two needles and start a over hand stitch with the thread and even it up just keep doing the stitching  with the stitching and pull it tight with out ripping the leather and just keep stitching and adjusting as you go when you get to the last stitch pull the string tight and overhand  knot it the knot will be under the leather.  I never glue mine down because as the leather dries it draws tight. mostly I like to use buckskin I made about ten years ago from my first nice buck 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:37:52 am »
Nice tip from rwaterman, I shall have to try that.
Mytop tips:-
1. If you want a nice clean edge, skive it to a tapered edge, (the long thin blades of those snap off craft knives are good for this) fold the edge back over itself (rough side to rough side) by about 3/16" with some glue in there, put it on a nice flat surface with a heavy weight on it overnight. Next morning you'll have a beautiful edge.
2. If you want to punch nice small holes, grind a parallell point onto a masonry nail (or suitable hard steel) then gring the point off dead square. If you use this to punch the leather onto an oak block it will take out perfect tiny round holes sweet as you like (I've only done it on upholstery leather)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »
I have feathered and  glued over the edges with heavy leather. But I like the rustic look of a self bow and leave it raw it lays tight to the wood and the edge  really takes in the walnut hull stain and looks nice on a rustic bow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:15 pm »
I cut the leather 1/8" to 1/4" small depending on the leather, then taper 1 1/2" or so from both ends to get a tight fit, then use a ice pick to punch holes for stitching, a hole punch if I use leather lace
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:07 pm »
Thank you for the advice guys. That is a great idea using the tape...waterman. I like the idea of the clean edge Del...Thats one of the areas I struggle...the other is making the pattern.

How bout any lacing techniques guys??

Jon

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:00:57 am »
Jon,

I know my handle wraps are pretty plain, as you saw on your bow.  But, here's what I use.  The leather, punch and lacing came from Tandy leather.  I love that punch, does 4 holes at once, well, 3 after the first group as you put the end punch in the last hole of the previous batch to make the alignment come out perfect.  My lacing is always pretty basic, I love simplicity.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline oneeye

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:08:25 am »
Jon,
         look up   braided leather bowgrip    in the how to section.     Scott

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:38:48 am »
Thank you George. The hole punch i use now is round. I can see how the punch you use would work much better with flat lace. Gonna make a trip to the craft store.

Oneeye....That grip is awesome...thats what I want to learn to to do. Thats a great tutorial.
Here's the link for anyone that wants to check it out...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19825.0.html

Jon

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:39:07 am »
Here is a how to I did on making a leather grip with out stitching.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000052

Offline straightarrow

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:44:15 am »
Thank You Eric....That is also a great tutorial. Would this techinique work with buck skin or brain tan??

Jon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:50 am »
My lacing technique is to do the first half inch all wrong and then go back and start again... >:( ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:02:08 am »
My lacing technique is to do the first half inch all wrong and then go back and start again... >:( ::)
Del

Hey you stole my concept!  ;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...