Author Topic: pig arrows  (Read 4710 times)

Offline thomas h

pig arrows
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
thought  id  post this pic and see if there are any suggestions on the  way im doing these  bamboo shaft some goose feathers from stringstretcher and some old Bow-lo broad heads 160gr. will use a 50lb @28" trad bow only have 1 ready  and only 2more  points ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: pig arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »
How does it shoot from your hunting bow? That's what matters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline thomas h

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:35 pm »
on a scale of 1-10 id give it a 7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:04:48 pm »
Does the arrow spin true on it's point? Is it spined properly for your bow and draw?
  When pig hunting you have to be able to shoot quickly sometimes and put that arrow in a pretty small area, up close to the elbow. Do you feel comfortable enough with how it shoots to try to kill a pig with it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:56:56 pm »
yes i do

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:59 pm »
You will find with these natural shaft materials that they can have a different potential in different bows. Have you shot the arrow in another bow? Do you have the shaft's nodes properly oriented with the bow.

Sometimes you're going to need additional helical on your fletch for better flight. I get this by wrapping my feathers and adding more helical if warrented. Something you can't do if you glue down your feathers or secure both ends. I believe a shield cut on your fletching will better serve you also if you're using a selfbow........Art

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:47 pm »
 Is that a 3 bladed broadhead?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline thomas h

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »
no not a 3blade 

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:41 pm »
Looks like a solid bladed knock off of a Howard Hill head.  No reason why that arrowhead razor sharpened shouldn't cause some bleeding.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline thomas h

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:58:04 am »
 ;D  they do need a bit of honing.and will take an almost razoe sharp edge.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 01:56:31 pm »
Thomas,the arrow looks fine. Just as others said,it has to fly good,have a sharp head,and for pigs, heavy  is better than light.For that 50# bow,I'd sure want to be shootin' hogs with arrows around 700 gr. ;) Good Huntin' and God Bless JMHO
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline thomas h

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »
thank you all for the information seems to be a lot more to  these  pigs than  i ever  imagined  mayby ill spend some  time  and really check  my  equipment before  i tackle ;D these guys.

Offline ohma

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:53:36 pm »
if your arrow is heavy and flies good from the bow i sure wouldnt be afraid to use that head.the old hill style heads were great penetraters. good luck.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:59 pm »
i watched my brother shoot his 75 lb matthews into a pig and the arrow hit the front shoulder with a 110 gr mangus stinger 2 blade cut on contact head and a 500 carbon arrow it rolled the tip up and did not penatrate the shoulder, made the big 275lb hog mad as all heck it took 3 shots from my .30-06 to down the pig so make sure your shot place ment is good real good on big hogs they have a thick (shield layer over the front of the shoulder to protect themselves in fights with other hogs. so wait awhile for the perfect shot and that blade should do its work and kill the pig
doc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »
 Like said , Shot placement is the key. Tuck it behind the elbow or depending how close you can get, head shoot it. The only other way you can get away with it is to make a big hole, and a pass through helps.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?