Author Topic: So do you do whole thing?  (Read 7031 times)

Grunt

Re: So do you do whole thing?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:07 am »
if you intent is to hide from critters wear something quiet and hunt into the wind. If your intent is to hide from other humans wear something quiet and something in muted camo to break up your outline. Camo works best hiding from someone hunting you.
Semper, Fi

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:59 am »
Even a moving tree would scare the wildlife  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 03:10:10 pm »
Even a moving tree would scare the wildlife  ;)

If I ever see a tree walking towards me I am gonna try outrunning it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »
Most of my hunting cloths are commercial camo. I like the style of pants and if I could find them in non camo solid colors I'd use them. I do occasionally buy new camo long sleeve T shirts because I like Ts during the early(hot) season. Some of my camo is over 10 years old. No scent lock though. I like wool pants but rarely cold enough to use them here for hunting.
  If I ever make a buckskin shirt I'd wear that hunting. A wool sweater makes a great hunting top for cold weather as does wool and flannel plaid shirts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:17 pm »
As a teenager I remember sitting in a hole at night and shooting at a whole field of moving bushes coming at me. Of course that took place on a different planet in a galaxy far far away.

Offline Postman

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 10:06:39 pm »
I got a ghillie this november as a anniversary present, but bagged my first stickbow deer in mismatched camo in october.  I think the ghillie helps my number one cause of blown setups - the Squirrel fun police didn't spot me at 3 feet and freak out. I have a white / black plaid baja pullover that works great in snow, also.  Too much pressure here for buckskin - I'd get crossbowed or shot with a rifle.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:56 am »
Deer are colored blind. We used colored blind people during world war II to spot camo tanks and postions from the air because camo doesn't work well in black and white. Deer also have eyes on the side of their head so depth perception is difficult but if the head is moved up and down the system works great. That is way if a deer is trying to pick you out from the background they will move there head up and down to break you up from the back ground. So camo will not work because it is related to a binocular color illusion. Camo is an attempt to create a line converging probelm that the mind cant solve easily by breaking up the shape of the body and merging it with the background. Now color has three componets value (deer can see this) intensity and hue. If you are human and looking at a person in camo these three are used to trick you. Intensity or brightness in color and warm colors advance in a landscape. Additionally bold or very dark or white values will also advance due the relative value of a setting. So deer could care less about intensity and hue and it make sense because value contrast is the alert. The change in light and dark is the blinking caution light for the woods. If you do not create this value change there is no trigger for an alert. Think of yourself as a projecting flat plane rather than an over lapping plane,shape, or form. Camo is a great system if you are human to human because it cover all the bases. So my solution for deer has been to make sure that when I place a stand that I have a real good and close back cover. So for example I might place a large dead cedar behind the stand or set a stand in a shingle oak because it holds its leaves during the winter. This makes it difficult for the deer to make me move in relationship to objects far behind me. my point is we are a shape in in reference to other shapes and if there is no reference then we are no shape. Movement in relationship to the background presents a shape. This is more of a discription than anyone really wants to read sorry for being long winded.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Postman

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »
Well done explanation, and why I  always have a nice confusing backdrop to my setup, whatever I hunt in.  There was a theory a few years back that UV  brighteners in laundry soap could cause a camo - clad hunter to glow to a deer's different wavelength sensitivity.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline iowabow

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »
Thank you! I was thinking this morning that it make sense that predators often have eyes more forward because of their lack of movement in a stalk (lion waiting in grass or on a limb) in contrast to an animal that moves from food area to food area. Each benefit from eye placement respective to function. I didn't know about UV but sounds interesting does anyone have a link to that data or article. I got busted by a doe once this season because I was following her with my bow as she was walking in, their eyes pick up everything.

Offline Little John

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
I suppose camo works fine, but I just hate to look like all the other hunters in the woods and in town at Wal Mart with camo right down to their bic lighters. I use dull green wool jeans, Earth tone shirts, and wool sweaters. You can find the wool sweaters in the thrift stores and  in nice hunting colors. I like the off white sweaters for hunting in the aspens. And an Art Young style wool hat.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:17 pm »
Iowa...that was a really good explanation, I think I understood most of it.  Camo or not, when you are skylined your every movement is a billboard.  With your back up against a solid object like a tree trunk, big ol' rock, or a deadfall and your movements just don't stand out as much.  Another advantage is the bullet/arrow/shot stopping properties of what you are leant up against....not everyone out in the woods is paying attention to detail.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Grunt

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »
I have a nice Realtree shell that has eleven pockets. It works so well I can never seem to find the pocket I'm looking for. Putting it on is a pain cause it's hard to find the top or the bottom. Good to know if I hold still no one can see me. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 06:06:20 am »

I though an illustration for the above description might help. The little guy is an illustration of what it looks like if you wore solid colors with and without a background in a tree. I was too tied to draw the camo version. My point in posting this was to agree that camo color makes on difference but a pattern that matches the background in value can make a big difference. The guy that said movement was a big factor was dead on. In my last drawing, if the bow was in his left had and he raised it to fire he would block out the light coming from behind and fill that space with the silhouette of his bow. This is the high contrast change that I think deer pick up on. Your concealment is dependent upon your setting. So the guy that wears dark and sits in a field of snow might have a problem but if he sits in a dark cedar is OK. So forest green camo (which is dark) would be a poor choice if sitting on a hillside of tan brown leaves you would be better of wearing a plaid tan three piece suit. Patterns or solids are Dependant on conditions. Solid is good if you are in a field of snow. A dark grey solid would be good in that cedar tree or if you have a backdrop that is dark. I think the most important thing is not to create value contract change with your movement so clothing that works in relationship to the hunt that you have designed will yield the greatest success.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:50:47 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 06:33:42 am »
One more point deer don't wear camo. hey rely on value contrast for concealment.  The deer is dark on top to reduce the effect of highlight contrast and white on bottom to reduce the volume created by shadows. If I were designing Camo I would make it light sensitive ink. If light hit the Camo it would go dark and if not it would be light to reverse the effect that light and shadow has on creating volume. I think that the camo makers have missed the boat on camo design. The shoulders of camo should be a little darker and the inside of the arm a little lighter. A solid brown shirt with dark shoulder and light tan underarms could be be called archery deer camo. You would not want to look like a deer during gun season around here!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 10:45:12 am »
i hunt in olive drab surpluss pants and a nice briar-proof carhartt.  ;D
lets just shoot it