Author Topic: So do you do whole thing?  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Cromm

So do you do whole thing?
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:02:26 am »
Hi,
Been thinking about this for the last week or so.
When you go out to hunt or 3D shoot what do you wear?
We push pretty hard about not using the FB word in the bows and are proud of the fact that we have taken a deer or hog with flint, stick and string but were you dressed in wool, skin...mud and grass??
Or something that was scentlocked, gore-texed 3D pattened?
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline lowell

Re: So do you do whole thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:59 am »
Mostly wool for hunting....no mud if I can avoid it!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:52:07 am »
Only a loincloth  :o

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:56:06 am »
 Mismatched camo, part military and part store bought.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:13:32 am »
After watching and participating in the camo craze for most of my hunting career I decided to go in a different direction. I am selling all my camo(except my ghillie suit and some Filson wool) and wearing plaid and earthy colors. I have seen "0" difference in the way deer pick me out from wearing camo.

I have come to the conclusion that camo is to hunters as the latest fishing lure is to fishermen, may not catch a fish but snags the fisherman every time.

When I first quit camo I felt like a woman would feel going to a big event with out make-up, sort of a naked feeling when I went hunting. Worn the stuff for 40 years. After a hunting season without it, I now I feel odd when I wear camo.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:32:03 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:13 am »
Hunt with some of both ,[no mud or loin cloth] :) :) I use Camo/some sentlock on occasion
and wool a lot,To each there own,I don't clam  to be primitive,I just hunt with wood bows. :)
and love to practice primitive skills. :) At a tournament I wear overalls and a T shirt most of the time if the weather is warm,if not overalls and a flannel shirt.  :)
    Pappy   
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:35:16 am »
When I am hunting I were a lot of different clothes depending on the temp and weather.  I do wear camo, but I don't believe it is as important as being still and hunting with the wind.I have had very good success with earth tone colors.....but I have yet to get my first deer with a all wood bow.  I have only been doing this for a short while with the bow.  I have killed a lot of deer, and some quite close.  At 3-d shoots I wear whatever suits me at the time and whatever is comfortable.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 12:34:22 pm »
 Clothes make the man ! ..... Ha ! !   If that be so, I'm near bum.  Kirkland bluejeans and whatever is earth toned from goodwill.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 11:06:10 pm »
Once when I had blown 5 different set ups on opening morning of turkey season, I skinned completely outa my camo down to blue jeans and a bright blue t-shirt.  I was walking back to the truck when  hen walked up over a ridge.  I sat down next to a tree and watched hen after hen walk by within 15 yds of me without paying a lick of attention.  Eventually I didn't have a bird in eyesight so I lit up my box call and had a gobbler and two hens pop up 50 yds up the ridgeline and look right at me.  He strutted his way to me over the course of 5 minutes and several exchanges on the call he got his head blown off at 12 yds.  3 yr old gobblers with hens on public land aren't supposed to be this stupid.

Camo?  I'm like you, I think it's there to sell to people with money (or plastic) in their wallets.  I like to wear dull colors and move slowly or move not at all.  How many times have you been wearing blaze orange and people have walked right up on your setup claiming they never saw you?  Predator vision is keyed to motion.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »
   Ghillie
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »
most times i like to wear as much black as possible
most my hunting is done from the inside of ground blinds
so black blends in well
if im not in a blind,i wear camo
but have also had turkey and deer at very short ranges,less than 10 yds,while i was wearing street cloths and being very still
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:31:03 am »
 If you don't move you really don't need Camo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:40 pm »
Howdy,  I think camo has become a "fashion statement" and entirely overdone.  I mean really, trademarked camo designs on all sorts of things.   If you're going to rely on a GPS unit do you really want it camouflaged so you'll have the greatest possible trouble finding it again after you set it down in the excitement of a hunt, or even if it just got misplaced during your rest stop 22 miles from anywhere?   At the range I frequent, there is a fashion divide between most of the traditional and primitive crowd and the compound shooters.   Use of camo is very understated among the traditional crowd and never seen on the primitive shooters.
I attended a Halloween party this year dressed in camo, wearing binoculars and carrying a compound bow.  Other archers (all wooden bow shooters) agreed that it was the scariest costume there and then told me to never be seen carrying that thing again.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »
LMAO!!!  Now THAT was funny, Ron.  Thanks for the morning laugh, my day is complete.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 10:14:01 pm »
JW, Glad I could brighten your day.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers