Author Topic: cane?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline rkeltner

cane?
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:35 pm »
i have a question that i may already know the answer to, but i'm going to ask anyway. haying bought some 1/2 in. chair caning reed for some future quiver projects, i was wondering if anybody had tried using it for backing, or is this uncharted territory?

Offline aero86

Re: cane?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:38 pm »
your wanting to back it with strips?  i tried with some river cane.  its very tough to get strips even.  i tried to get strips with the same node spacing, didnt work out too well..  had some limb twist.  someone had a good post a while back about using the power fibers of the bamboo/cane as a backing, instead of whole long pieces.  basically cutting the outside of the bamboo out between the nodes..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:00:00 am »
That's an interesting idea but I'm wondering how well the strips of chair cane would hold the dimensions of the bow as it fades in and out.  For the work put into it, I figure it would be tremendously more easy to use linen or silk cloth from a fabric store or old clothes.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:51:56 pm »
I've seen bows made from bamboo window shade slats laid side by side as a backing. Seemed to work pretty good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC