Author Topic: Good Trees?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline DiGi

Good Trees?
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:50:19 pm »
I found some Buckthorn growing around. I heard that it was "the poor man's yew". Is it okay if the tree is already out of the ground? It's laying on the forest ground but it seems to have been recently fallen and still has moisture in it. Thanks in advance!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Good Trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »
It depends when it hit the ground and if the weather was condusive to fungi growth. I personally would stay away from it and cut one still standing.
  I've never worked buckthorn so I don't know how it is as bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:18:35 pm »
Tough call - as a rule of thumb it's best to avoid fallen wood.  But, seeing as how your just getting into things, it's a great time to cut wood and start letting it season.  Perhaps if it's been cut while the weather has been frozen in your area it would be alright?  I can't say for sure...
1’—>1’

Offline DiGi

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:06 pm »
This is the one that was almost cut down and still halfway on the tree. I cut this one down.

Offline DiGi

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »
This one I found while walking to the other downed tree that I didn't end up taking. It's straight off the tree.

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »
Seems a little slim... but what do I know. At least you got some wood back at the house ! I went tramping through the woods earlier and came back empty handed...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:14 pm »
A good start.  Now you'll start noticing wherever you go you'll be looking for bow wood.
1’—>1’

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:04:22 am »
looks like that second branch has too many knots in the wood....I.E. too many branches to have strong wood

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:26:45 am »
Your branches all look a bit too thin, I'd say that generally you want 'em at least as wide as the palm of your hand (3 fingers wide, absolute bare minimum if you find a really pretty bit of wood which you just can't resist) even for a sapling or stick bow.
Regarding fallen timber, if it's easy to carry then pick it up, a few minutes de-barking it will tell you a lot and you can always just have a play with it. I mad a bow in 1hour from a bit of Hazel I found lying on the woodland floor, it had some grey discolouration, but it still shot, I then let it dry and rawhide backed it which was something I hadn't done before... it chrysalled eventually after much abuse, but it was worth every penny it cost me  ;). Bottom line, almost any wood is better than no wood.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:41:08 am »
iv  made  1  buckthorn bow  it  turned out  ok  it was easey to work i think it was about like workin erc  kind a soft  not all that hard  if i rember buckthorn has a s g of 59 -61  it shot ok but took a lot of set id try it again but not enough around here  to relley know  what can be done with it  the piece was given to me wood finishes real pretty though    brock

Offline DiGi

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:53 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:17 pm »
As far as wood on the ground, it depends on the type of wood and the climate.  Some woods, such as osage can lay on the ground for years and still make a bow.  As far as climate, wet is bad for salvaging wood, it promotes rot and fungus growth.  As Del said though, "any wood is better than no wood" is very true.  And every one on this site can also tell you, you learn by doing.  Make the bow, if it breaks, you have still got the experiance and the next will be better.  Bill