Author Topic: Pine  (Read 2616 times)

Offline DiGi

Pine
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:02 pm »
Is pine good for anything? My neighbor is throwing out their christmas tree.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:30:15 pm »
First off, most Christmas trees are not pine(some are) but spruce or fir. Also Christmas trees are grown to be thick anf branchy. Not the best option for bows or arrows...but makes great fishing reefs and cover for small critters in a wood area.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DiGi

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »
oh ok, I won't take it then

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »
I've got some friends who collect christmas trees and on new years eve they have a tree burn. Those boys have been known to have a fire twenty five feet high at midnight. I guess a few jars of Wlikes County NC everclear apple don't hurt matters any.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:31:42 pm »
Pat's got that one fielded, for sure, but there are types of pine that can be used from what I understand.  I just got The Encyclopedia of Native American Bows & Arrows and noticed that one of the northern Canadian groups used a pine bow and have heard of it used elsewhere, I think like Siberian areas and such.
I've been real curious about the Southern Yellow Pine and Slash that grow down here.  They're supposed to be pretty dense.  Don't know though.
I'd love to see some true pine bows.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:50 pm »
I'd bet some of the old "real" heart pine would make a bow. It is extremely dense.
  I think there was an article in an old PA magazine about pine bows in a Scandanavian country, maybe Norway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:55:11 pm »
I've made a few bows from slash pine and yellow pine.  They were all quartersawn and unbacked.  It works well for bows under 35# draw weight. The bows start to become too much work with the higher draw weights.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:56:42 am »
As I understand it a few of the ancient bows found in areas such as Scandinavia/Siberia etc were made of heart of pine, in addition the bi-wood bows of the Laps etc were of beech and "compression" pine. There has been a few posts on the latter on paleoplanet.

Craig.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:30 am »
I'd bet some of the old "real" heart pine would make a bow. It is extremely dense.
  I think there was an article in an old PA magazine about pine bows in a Scandanavian country, maybe Norway.

We get alot of people that remodle around here. I see alot of the heart pine laying along the curbs waiting for the garbage men to pick it up. I might just have to stop and pick a few boards up ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2