Author Topic: Bow Finishes  (Read 12899 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Bow Finishes
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:00 pm »
I have researched bow finishes and have come up with a list.  I am trying to categorize them in dull/shiny category and primitive/modern category.  Is this list correct and since i have not experimented with all of these can someone help me put them in a dull/shiny category?  Also if you have any more to add to the list please do.

Primitive

1)   Beeswax
2)   50% Liquid Beeswax, 50% Rendered Liquid Deer Tallow
3)   1 part Wax (Beeswax) to 3 part Animal Grease
4)   3 parts Beeswax to 1 part Tallow (hard white Beaver fat or hard fat off back of deer)
5)   Beeswax and Turps
6)   Linseed Oil

Modern

7)   Tung Oil, high/low gloss
8)   Tru-Oil
9)   Minwax wipe-on Poly, Clear Satin
10)   Watco Danish Oil
11)   Bioshield Hard Oil #9
12)   Carnauba Wax on top of everything

Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline rwaterman00

Re: Bow Finishes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:05 am »
i would consider linseed oil -dull
beeswax when polished is shiny
tru oil-shiny
carnauba wax is shiny

thats my opinion
but then again i am quite dull myself. so my opinions may differ from most lol

one that was omitted was  spirit varnish ( made from pine pitch) i suppose this would be in the primative list.
i must say that i have never succesfully made it though i have tried. mine always ends up sticky.
but it is the preferred varnish of violin makers
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:08:31 am by rwaterman00 »

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:07:26 am »
just a note.  i dont know why theres a smily face instead of a #8 by Tru Oil.  Weird!  I copied and pasted from a word doc.

Thanks for the reply!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:02 am »
Primitive-Grease
Modern-spar urethane
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:32:48 am »
i was thinking about doing bacon grease on a vine maple bow i just finished tillering but im worried about the smell as im going to be hunting with it? I want something dull,
and are there any tips on how many coats ect. I was also thinking about useing Filsons water proofing wax that u use on tin cloth? should i use a heat gun ect. ect. i also wanted to use charcoal to stain the wood so its not whit and sticks out so bad, can i go right over that?
 sorry to highjack ur thread if i could get responses in pm it would be great so i really dont mess up this thread thanks. josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:46:52 am »
That's a good list. I feel like with finishes that are more of a coat like poly's, that a rubdown with super fine steel wool will dull the finish down if need be. I've also been using a teak oil finish that can dry fairly shiny if the wood is sanded very well and it too can be dulled with a rub down of steel wool.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:42:09 am »
Only finish I've used is parrafin wax...water beads right off the wood

Offline Holten101

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:48 am »
One coat of linseed oil will give you a dull finish (but limited protection)...several coats will give good protection, but a shiny finish.

I only use linseed oil so cant comment on the rest:-(

Cheers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:16:39 am »
I have used only bear fat as a oil based finish and it gives a nice dull finish.  I used to wipe down my finished sanded bows with terpentine to remove the dust and give a carrier for ther hand rubbed linseed oil. Then I would let the linseed oil  dry well for a few days before adding Tru-Oil. Now I just use the Tru-Oil with satin poly overspray.
  The deal with hand rubbed fat finishes is you have to continually apply it for good protection.
  I've never used bees wax or a mix of it but I think if you heat the wood first you will get pretty good penetration(not too deep though) and a dull finish.  Like Holten said linseed oil will give a dull finish(much like animal fat) but layers will give you a shine.
  I have used spirit varnish(pine pitch dissolved in alcohol) for arrows but not bows. It should work fine for bows.   The trick with pitch varnish is you have to start with hard pitch to get a hard finish(not sticky). If you use sticky pitch you get sticky finish. To get hard pitch the terps have to be removed either naturally of forced out. When I collect pitch I keep the hard stuff seperate from the sticky stuff. The sticky stuff has to be cooked to get the terps to evaporate. Be very careful cooking pitch as it is very volatile and will combust if it gets too hot.
  The only one of the modern finishes I haver used and use on all my bows is Tru-Oil. Tru-Oil dries to a very shiny finish. I have tried buffing it to a dull finish with 0000steel wool but the shine returns after use. Now I use a quick spray or satin poly over the Tru-Oil for a permanent dull finish.
  An old woodworkers addage about oil finishes is...one coat a day for a week, then one coat a week for a month, then one coat a month for a year and once a year after that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:02 pm »
Anyone else want to share there bow finishing process?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:09:51 pm »
for me
i love tung oil as a bow finish
i have also used bees wax a few times
but tung oil is bay far my fav finish for ow,knife handles
just about anything wood
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd