Author Topic: BAND SAW QUESTION  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: BAND SAW QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
Like Osage Outlaw says, make sure you've tuned up the bandsaw, there are loads of videos and stuff on Youtube showing how to do it.
I bought an AS (alternate set) blade it makes a wider cut and is great for ripping through green timber.
I find my bandsaw needs plenty of attention to keep it running sweet and a good blade is vital
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline hook

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:59 pm »
wow! tons of input, thanks everybody, my manual wasn't real specific about tuning. I have the guides set very close...a couple of .001's and both upper and lower rollers are rolling. I cranked the tension up to almost max when I started having problems, besides that I don't know what else to do except watch some "youtube" at least I learned enough to stay outside the lines when cutting and my board is not to floor tiller stage yet, hopefully when i get all those washboards smoothed out it will be close.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 04:29:28 pm »
Get yourself a copy of The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird.  It gives great instructions on properly tuning a saw to get the most out of it.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Gary Mac

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »
Hi Hook

I just happened to have a pdf copy of that book as a backup to the original one I own.

I accidentaly dropped you a link to the said item in your message box . . . oops! Check your pm's

If anyone else wants a copy, send me a pm quick before I remove :)
Gaz
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:22:21 pm by Gary Mac »

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 08:11:03 pm »
Howdy guys,

Yup, what Osage Outlaw said.   The table top bandsaw I have was given to me from my brother who couldn't get the thing to cut worth a hoot. 

I bought The Bandsaw Book and I got the thing running really well.  From the book, I think it has a lot to do with getting the upper and lower pulleys lined up while the tension is on.  And, then you have to set up the guides.

Good luck,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey