Author Topic: Recent Projects  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Parnell

Recent Projects
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »
Hi Gang,
I'm posting a couple of things I've been working on over the last months.  First off, there are some new guys that I've been pushing toward hickory and I wanted to post something for them, even though it isn't quite finished.
A very simply made hickory D bow with very narrowed pointy tips and a tie on nock.  This bow is currently 60" long and pulling over 50# at about 25".  Shorter than my full draw, but I'm liking the simple "bush bow" idea here.  The heat treatment was the length of the belly at floor tiller.  You can say where wood was removed.  I shot about 50 arrows out of it this evening and enjoyed this simple bow.
A couple other unfinished things - a heavy hickory backed ipe ELB pulling 75# at 27".  Also a reflex/deflex I've been driving myself nuts with for months.  It's got it's mistakes but what a learning curve!  Enjoy the pictures - thanks for looking.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline kerryb

Re: Recent Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:59:47 pm »
very nice
Milan Mo

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:22 pm »
Couple more...
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:02:33 pm »
 Nice little projects, Steve, you've been busy.Nice shorts, too. Nothing like Florida Camo. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:03:16 pm »
Wow those are looking great! Love the simple D They are always great shooters and your tiller looks spot on. Nice work Parnell

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:38:45 am »
well done i really like the little hickory d bow, is it a board or stave? I too would like to try working with some hickory, as of now all i have worked with is vine maple, yew, oceanspray is still drying. but I need to get something i can start on now lol Thanks for shareing.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:07:19 am »
Great looking work,you been busy,love the little Hickory,simple but effective. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:45:20 am »
Great work. Love the flint heads.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:39 am »
Nice work, love the Hickory D.
 Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:15 am »
Thanks, guys. Elktracker, the lil hick is a board bow.  It was, I believe, 5/4 board that had very straight tight rings running the height of the board.  I'd actually bought it to cut backing strips with - got about 6 good ones and I had a piece a little over a half inch thick left.  Kinda wanted to make another simple bow like this with it.  I drew the dimensions, cut it, sanded the edges, floor tillered, and toasted the belly in about 3 hours.  Left it sit for 24 hours to stabilize then tied on the little tab nocks and tillered it the next evening.  I'd say 4 hours work for an effective bow.  Nothing like simplicity sometimes, especially after wrestling with the r/d design of Marc's.  The next one will be better!   :)
1’—>1’

Offline DiGi

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:56:50 am »
Sweet

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:10 pm »
cool thanks for the info parnell, did you have to chase a ring on it or just go with it? thanks for the info and again great job im excited to start experamenting with hick backing and bows. Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 05:21:47 pm »
No ring chasing on this one.  The grain was nice and straight, but in the past I've made hickory board bows with grain runoff up to 60# up.  Don't trust those the same, but hickory is incredibly resilient.
1’—>1’

Lombard

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:16 pm »
Appears as though you have been busy, building nice bows. Way to go.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 01:15:35 am »
Great bows!  Great work!