Author Topic: Another newb question...  (Read 4125 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Another newb question...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:32 pm »
.... my purpose is to try to understand how the longbow functions in relation to what I know... the compound bow. I'm sincere in wanting to hunt with and learn to build longbows. The answers I wanted would effect my future decisions, such as deer lease choices, based on land layout... cover etc. ( Best time to get a lease is early... ) Hope that clears up why I'm asking....

In my archery journey I have killed deer with a compound out to 43 yards, with a glass recurve out to 32 yards and with a self longbow out to 18 yards.  To be honest, some of that has to do with the way I set up with each weapon.  You just naturally make setups to leverage the capabilities of the weapon you're using.  It is also more enjoyable as the challenge increases and the distance to game decreases.  Certainly, the weapon can kill game further than I can accurately shoot it, but at some point your goal shifts away from what's possible towards what's enjoyable. 

When I want to shoot far or bringing home meat is critical,  I carry a .243 or a .308.  I'm not hung up on weapon type at all.  Depending on the setup, how I feel and needs of the day I choose the weapon for that day.  Quite frankly, my current lease hasn't been set up very well for self bows, so I've been carrying a glass recurve in bow season.  That is changing though and I'll soon be going after hogs with a selfbow because I have a nice close setup now (and because it's fun ;D).

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »
Where I hunt in GA all of the club members shoot compounds except me. They all can miss as easily as I can and all have.  ;D
  I hunted with a compound for quite a few years and killed way more deer with the compound. Even when hunting with a compound(or gun for that matter) I set up my stands the same. I prefer 10 to 15 yard for bow shots but will take a shot at 25 if everything feels right. Actually I have no idea at what distance I'm good to because I never measured it. I let my brain do the math...instinctive shooter.
  I have come across quite a few situations where instinctive shooting worked better because of timeing and target positioning and as far as I am concerned a traditional bow(both wood or glass) are a better hunting instrument that a compound.   That ought to get the pot stirred up!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 04:13:11 pm »
im with pat  iv killed moose elk deer bears and a grizzly with a long bow some of those shots no way i could a even made with a compond if im gonna shoot for stright meat the 243 or 338 comes out   brock

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »
I think it is easier to be accurate with a compound.  They have sights and a peep, and once they are set, it is sort of like shooting a gun with open sights.  Shooting a selfbow with no sights takes a lot of practice to be accurate.  I am still working on it.  I had to resort to the compound this past season so I could fill the freezer.  I will say that shooting a selfbow that you make with your own hands is much more rewarding and fun.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 04:58:35 pm »
First off I don't make bets and second I don't target shoot per se. My shooting is related to hunting and at my comfort distance I can put an arrow in the kill zone of my quarry. That is plenty good for me. I don't have to proove anything to anyone but myself.  ;)
  I find shooting my selfbows as easy as any other bows I've ever shot. It's all in taking the bull by the horns and doing it. The most difficult part of shooting instinctively is in the concentration after the mechanics of shooting are ingrained in my brain. When I'm hunting I don't even realize I have shot sometimes. It is all instinctive. That's the way I like it. Too much thinking gets in my way!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 05:13:33 pm »
My last one was a PSE Nova, back in the 80s.  I even sent it back to PSE to have the cams replaced with wheels so I could try shooting it instinctively with the smoother draw. I could never get used to the let off. I like the feel of the weight increasing as I draw and as soon as I hit anchor the arrow is on it's way.