Author Topic: Another newb question...  (Read 4126 times)

Offline IrishMonk

Another newb question...
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »
No question is a dumb one right ? good... ;D

So, does a longbow with a 60 lb draw have the same range and velocity as a compound bow with a 60 lb draw ? Does 60 lbs = 60 lbs regardless of the bow type ?

thanks

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Another newb question...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:45 pm »
Nope.   ;D

A compound bow stores more energy.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:07:17 pm »
A compound bow could be made that drew 60 pounds all the way up and then held at say 40.
The long bow will come up slowly from say 10pounds to 60, so it won't accumualte as much energy during the draw.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »
ok, so what would the differences be in the two as far as efective kill range (deer) and fps etc... given the same poundage and arrow... roughly ?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »
This is so vague as to be meaningless, it seem like random questions with no real purpose.
I don't think anyone here is actually interested in compounds.
I'd guess a sensible killing/hunting range for a primitive is upto 30 yards, but I daresay if you could be certain of hitting your mark it would kill upto say 75.
Del

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:16:30 pm »
Howard Hill killed an elk at 185 yards with a wood bow! It did take him 3 arrows to hit it.  ::)    If you can hit a target at 100 miles with an arrow from a wood bow it will kill it. My effective range with a wood bow is 25 yards max(prefer 10 to 15), about the same as when I shot a compound.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »
I do not believe that a compound is more accurate at all.  It is faster, but the accuracy is up to the person shooting the bow.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:55:59 pm »
"This is so vague as to be meaningless, it seem like random questions with no real purpose.
I don't think anyone here is actually interested in compounds." 'Del The Cat'

Well, my purpose is to try to understand how the longbow functions in relation to what I know... the compound bow. I'm sincere in wanting to hunt with and learn to build longbows. The answers I wanted would effect my future decisions, such as deer lease choices, based on land layout... cover etc. ( Best time to get a lease is early... ) Hope that clears up why I'm asking....

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:49 pm »
I think if you could get your hands on a traditional bow and shoot it a bit you would figure it out pretty quickly.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:34:37 pm »
not that accurate ever seen bryon ferguson shoot?
bryan irwin

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:03 am »
Well, I can't say... have'nt seen any longbow competitions etc.  But thes guys are extremely accurate with the compound at 70 meters, about 77 yards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1LB1_vUic&feature=related .

However their compounds with 20 different contraptions attached to them does'nt appeal to me.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 12:33:53 pm »
i have an uncle whom has made many many robin hood arrow shots
most with his trad gear years ago,only one with his hi tech wheelie contraption  ;) ;D

accuracy is in the hands of the person holding/shooting the bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Apollunai

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »
Morning, Irish -

Having recently abandoned the compound for the wood bow, I get your question.  Simply put - my 60 pound compound, 26.5" draw, throws an arrow just at 300 feet a second.  From my limited experience with wood bows, same draw weight, 150-170 a second feet is really moving for an all wood bow, depending on bow design.  I could be off on the wood bow chrono speeds, again my experience with all wood is limited.

It is my opinion that a well made wood bow will cast  an arrow as predictably as a compound.  Arrow on target (accuracy) is the shooter.  Bow sights make compounds more forgiving, (thus more "accurate") as minor shooting form issues can be "tuned away", just like a rifle scope is "dialed" on the gun range. 

The wood bow is making me a better shooter.  Form issues, in my opinion, become readily apparent with the wood bow.

Kill range?  Haven't shot anything other than butts with the wood bow yet.  Kill range is always a hairy conversation anyway......

I hope this helps.

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 01:52:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »
It's self evident, the flatter trajectory the more accurate, but only due to the error in estimating range.
e.g If you underestimate the range by 10yards with a 150fps bow you may drop say 8". With a 300fps bow you'll only drop 4"
(Or whatever the atual figures are.... I can't be bothered to do the maths, bu you get the drift)
Del