Author Topic: Warning... newb Qs ahead  (Read 2255 times)

Offline IrishMonk

Warning... newb Qs ahead
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »
Hi all, this is my first post. I have been interested in traditional bow making for some time, but never decided to do it until now. My goal is to have one or two bows made, and become proficient in shooting them by next deer season. Glad to have found this forum... I'm sure I will find plenty of help from you guys along the way. I just ordered 4 books to help as well, 'The Bent Stick', 'Hunting The Osage Bow', and 'The Traditional Bowyers Bible' vol 1 and 2.   Look forward to getting those...

I live just east of Dallas, and from what I've read finding an Osage tree should'nt be hard around here. So I'd like to start there, but we'll see. I have lots to learn before even venturing out to harvest a stave.

I guess I only have one question for now... ( the first of hundreds I'm sure ;D  ) ... Do wood bows lose strength with extended use, eventually becoming too weak to hunt with ?
The reason I ask is that I was trying to read up on archery within the history of my ancestors ( Anglo Saxons ) and came across an article that suggested that the reason not many bows have survived from that period is because bows were "disposable" weapons. ie, they weaken over time and are tossed out or burnt, and therefore not handed down like a sword or axe might have been.

Anyway, thanks for any responses to the question, or any other advice on my new found adventure in general. :)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Warning... newb Qs ahead
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:30:56 pm »
I will say this.  The four books you are getting will give you a lot of information.  I have all four and I highly reccommend them.  Read them all and take what you learn to start on your journey to build a bow.  As far as throw away weapons, I do not believe that to be true.  If you have a well built bow from good quality wood, it will last a long time.  As long as it is taken care of and not abused. :)
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 05:53:30 pm »
Good to hear... thnx for the reply

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
those books ya got are tops   you can  find lot s of osage  up around whicta falls  and im sure there s lots right around you  i dont agree with what they say about old bows   i think some of the bows found on the mary rose are still shootable even  you should plan on attending ojam  and mojam   oajm is close  to ya     brock

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »
IM, how far east of Dallas are you?  I live just north of Wylie, TX.  I'd be happy to have you come over and use one of my osage staves to build a bow.  I have lots.  There are 2 guys building bows with me right now out in the shop, the more the merrier.  I also have a place to cut osage in Wylie if you'd like to get some cut but I'm sure there is wood close to you. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline IrishMonk

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:13:21 pm »
Thnx for the replys all...

George, I appriciate that. Perhaps I'll take you up on that offer. I live in Mesquite, so not too far...just the other side of Garland. Yes, there is lots of Osage around here... I didn't know it till I started looking into bow making. We always called them 'horse apple' trees growing up here. But, like I said... got alot to learn yet before cutting.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:38:22 am »
We called osage "hedge apple" where I grew up.  Actually, since your osage needs to season a year, cutting is one of the first things you should do.  While you're waiting you can start with board bows or a stave of mine.  I've been working on a sawmill guy to try and get him to quartersaw me some hickory.  So far I'm not having much luck.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:56:46 am »
    The ANGLO SAXON bows of the day were almost round with a D cross section of of ash mostly. They were built quick for the miltary. The books you have are great but teach flatbows and other selfbow designs mainly.
   I've got selfbows that have been shot 100,000 times and some that are over 10 years old. And they've onlt lost a pound or so. I have bows from a guy that was my friend and mentor that are 40 years old. I don't shoot them but I'm sure you could. He did untill his death 11 years ago.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:38 pm »
Sounds like you've got some great places to start from, I'm sure you'll be set for next season.  I'd take up the invitation to go and learn in person - it makes a huge difference.  Osage is tremendous stuff, your sitting in an incredible location to be a bowyer.  Osage bows can last a very long time.
I have a friend that spent a lot of money on a carbon fiber/fiberglass superbow and it lasted for less than a year!  I think you'll be amazed at how well wood bows can hold up if designed and crafted properly.

Welcome to the pursuit - it's addicting.  Welcome to PA, also!
1’—>1’

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum and the addiction. Harvest your own wood as soon as you can so it can start to cure. Dean Torges book "Hunting the osage bow" is a great read and has a section in there on how to properly harvest, split seal and debark the wood. I would encourage you to take the guys in your area up on their offer to help, it will be invaluable. Also, Ojam is in March near Stillwater,Ok, if your serious and can work it into your schedule it is a must go.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:21:25 pm »
Sliante' IrishMonk, welcome to Bedlam.

Take gstoneberg up on his offer, you will learn plenty from those books, but it is pretty hard to convert "head knowledge" to hand-to-eye coordination on your own.  Georgie will take care of ye!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:53 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of solid info her and solid people to help you along as well!
 ;)