Author Topic: fiebings dye  (Read 1333 times)

Offline NTD

fiebings dye
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:24:28 pm »
So when I have dyed the back of bows before adding snake skins the TB3 ended up making the dye "run".  I usually glued on the skins shortly after dying the bow.  Would it run less if I let the whole thing sit for a day before gluing on the skin?
Nate Danforth

Offline bubby

Re: fiebings dye
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »
let it dry a day, but I started useing knox on skins, just think it works better
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:12:36 am »
I just dyed a bow yeaterday and glued some skins on.  I used the same dye, but I used Titebond hide glue fer the skins. It works real well. I find the hide glue to be a little thick to work with, so I cut it with a little water and mix it up real well before I glue the skins on. No problem with the dye runnin on me.

TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:15:43 am »
Thanks guys.  What I mean by it "running" is that is ends up discoloring and mixing with the glue.  So it ends up changing the color of the dye.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:49:32 am »
Nate...the Longer you let it Dry...the Better off you will be...but I do believe that the Glue will still leach a little color out of the Wood and into the Glue...you could try a thin sizing layer first...let it set...then re-coat before laying the Skins down...this may solve the Color from running....worth a try
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome