Author Topic: Lets talk D bows  (Read 29318 times)

Offline Traxx

Lets talk D bows
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:19:29 pm »
Lets talk about the common D bow.Whatever ya like,dislike,methods of manufacture,whatever.Feel free ta post pics if you like.I like seein and talkin about the oldest design of bow.They still hold their own today.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lets talk D bows
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:15:38 am »
Are you talking "D" profile or "D" cross section? ??? Someone asked me that when I was talking about the cross section.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:06:05 am »
D profile.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:00:34 pm »
I should think the two together "D" profile or "D" cross section make up the oldest design.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:07:59 pm »
I like the D-bow design. I've made a couple of Eastern NA style d-profile flatbows; and they're surprisingly efficient, quick to make, and easy to tiller.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 03:12:01 pm »
I agree with Hillbilly. I'm a fan since I use hickory.
The d-bow is very efficient if you will give it a deflex/reflex design with heat. The Cayuga bow like one of the communitybows is a very good example.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 04:01:27 pm »
I like them because you are less likely to get set near the handle, than a stiff-handled bow with fades.  But you can still leave the handle area slightly raised and have a semi-bendy handled design that only works slightly through the handle.  That has better shooting manners when you are talking about higher poundages (over 50lb).
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »
I also believe,the way this style bow is gripped,decides the manners of this bow,to a big extent.If a person,grips this style tightly,with a heel down style grip,it aint gonna like it.A loose,minimal contact,with a push style,has worked best fer me.Its also the way i was taught to grip this style bow,from my old Grandad,when i was a kid.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:44:42 pm »
                 I like em' also. IMHO a few things. Dont think they have to be reflex deflex design to shoot well but they do. Semi handle design also works but again dosen't have to be. I agree grip is important as stated, I think "handshock" as it is called , I prefer "vibration" has a lot to do with string design and material. D-bows can be shot modern style(more static) but shoot better when shot quickly. Handshock if you choose to use word isnt felt when shooting in a huntin' situation. Again IMHO tips need to be narrow with as little mass as possible and 8" or so of handle needs to be bending as little as possible. Elliptical tiller works best for me.I agree that they are easier to craft but imo a really good one takes skill.  As someone on another board wrote they are forgiving of draw length inconsistencies. They are sweet an meant to hunt, that may be why its the oldest design. A few pics, some may have seen these before. Got new camera, still trying to figure it out.LOL will post more pics when I do.........bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 06:31:55 pm »
Damm cmera an 'puter, sorry here are pics,I think ???..bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:51 pm »
oh well forgt pics, I guess havent figured this out..........sorry >:(....bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:23 pm »
Bob find a 5 year old to teach ya ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:35:17 pm »
  NO Sh## Dana ! Scheesch :o.bob

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 08:20:58 pm »
One of the good things about them is that you can get a longer draw from a short bow. Thus, if the bow is about 56" for a 28" draw length, the space that you need to shoot is brought down a good 8" from that of a stiff handle. In my case, I have made a 60" long stiff handled bow and a 48" long D-profile bow, it is amazing how much easier it is to maneuver with a full foot cut off of it.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:45:04 pm »
  Bob,Next time you come up I'll give you a red dot scope you can mount on that camera ;D ;D ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?