Author Topic: Noob bowyer  (Read 2947 times)

Offline SiongSA

Noob bowyer
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »
Hey all,
i'm a noob to this scene, although i've been making bows outta braches since i was 4 i've ever gotten into anything serious. So i was in this african market and came accross some traditional bows so i got one for a few bucks, nothing fancy but the pull hard and seem pretty good. But heres the problem, i'm 15, and its to hard for me to draw properly, so is there any way to soften up an all ready man, dry bow?  any more advice wud be appreciated:)

Sion

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Noob bowyer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:48:54 pm »
Why not make a bow and save that one for when you build up your archery muscles and can pull it. Sounds like a cool bow. Can you post pics of it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »
Sion, once the wood is cured its not really possible to "soften it up"  again or make it more flexible, but you could probably take a scraper or draw knife or even 50 grit sand paper and take a little off the back. If the bow is tillered good, just scrap the entire back-handle to tip-and try to take off an even amount from the entire limb. If the bow bends through the handle you can also take a little off it too.
Hope this helps, Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »
wait i'll just upload some, maybe your right dude but there is very few good trees for bows in South africa, although i did cut some ash this morning which i debarked is drying, but i don't know if it'll work, is ash any good. Also will soaking the stave is warm water make it more flexible permanently?

Sion

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »
Sion, once the wood is cured its not really possible to "soften it up"  again or make it more flexible, but you could probably take a scraper or draw knife or even 50 grit sand paper and take a little off the back. If the bow is tillered good, just scrap the entire back-handle to tip-and try to take off an even amount from the entire limb. If the bow bends through the handle you can also take a little off it too.
Hope this helps, Eric
Ok i might try that, if i do it will bees wax be enough to seal the wood again?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:06:56 pm »
Bees wax will work fine to seal the bow. If you can heat it so it sinks in it will be better .
  You don't want to soak your bows or staves. It takes a long time to season bow wood and what you are doing is eliminating the moisture content of the wood.
  Ash will make a good bow. If you removed the bark you should seal the back and ends of the wood to prevent drying cracks(checks).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »
is there any thread showing step-by-step bow making?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:34:03 pm »
Look through all the back log of bow building threads and/or do a specific search. If you want to come on the "Bows" thread with pics of your stave and ask for help you will get all the info you need. Pics are a great help for us to see what you have going. Ask lots of questions and be ready to soak up lots of bow building info.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:12:29 pm »
    Only way is to take #'s off your limbs and retiller it. I agree why not just build a your own bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »
Hope this helps, Eric

i woulndt recomend scraping on the back of the bow
you want the back as pristine as possible on wood bows
nicks cuts gouges etc can all be fatal for a wood bow when its on the back

ash will make a great bow,if seasoned properly and tillerd and designed properly
but once again the back should be as pristine as possible
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:56:02 pm »
Meant to say the  "belly"  not the back of the bow. Thanks for pointing that out sailordad.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 10:00:20 pm »
check out the build along section.   
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark